Feed Me Advice On Methotrexate For Psoriatic Arthritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive Had Psoriasis Since I Was 13 And Im 43 Now Im Very Swollen With Alot Of Inflammation...I Can Barely Walk The Pain Is Intense Especially In My Legs Feet And Hips... I Was Finally Diagnosed With Psoriatic Arthritis And Was Prescribed Pill Form Methotrexate 2.5mg (4) For One Week Then 2.5mg (6) For Second Week Along With Folic Acid And Lyrica 100mg 3× Day I Got The Medicine Today But Have To Wait For Vaccines To Be Done...Haven't Taken Medicine Yet I Am Kinda Scared But I Am Willing To Eat A Dog And A Cat To Make This Pain Stop Thats How Desperate I Am What Should I Look Out For And What Should I Expect?? ANY ADVICE FROM U PRECIOUS PEOPLE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK U AND GOD BLESS

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sammie 

I am also on MTX, I have been on it for a while now, It has helped me a bit. Like most DMARDS these take a while to start working up to 3 months is the expected time it takes. You need to make sure you have regular blood test because of the internal damage it can do.  

• Posted

Thank u Robert I appreciate your advice that was sweet of u to take your time to help me out if u dont mind me asking how often are the blood tests??
    • Posted

Hi Sammie Blood tests are every 4 weeks but they might like them every 2 weeks at first to keep a close eye on you as its the first time you have taken it. When mine was increased I was on 2 weekly until I got to full dosage. Now I am at full its 4 weekly 
    • Posted

Hi Sammie 

I also forgot to say you also need to have a Flu injection and Phenmonia injection as MTX also lowers your immune system 

• Posted

Hello Sammie what country are you in? One way of coping with whats happening to you is reading up about the disease. if this freaks you out though stop and ask questions of either your rheumotologist or rheumtaology nurse. Write a list for each appintment. Here in the UK the Arthritis Research UK site (a charity) has excellent information on both the disease and the drugs used.

I've just written a long post for someone else who was recently diagnosed explaining the process of treatment from my perspective. I suggest you have a look... Your methotrexate dose will go up bit by bit as your body comes to terms with it and the Rheumtology department monitors your inflammation rates. Unfortunately the inflammation will reduce bit by bit unless youre very lucky so patience is required. But your rheumotologist will keep trying drugs and different combinations until something that works is found. Is Lyrica  an antinfammatory? I dont recognise the brand name in the UK. and again the NSAID can be changed again and again until something effective is found. It does take time though so dont expect rapid results. There are people who have rapid repsonses to drugs of whom I have always been jealous... never been me alas.

You have started on a long journey but you'll get there in the end!

• Posted

Thank u Okapis im in the USA and he prescribed me Lyrica for chronic pain he says that I might also have fibromyalgia combined with psoriatic arthritis its a nerve pain pill which ive heard of this fibromyalgia pain I just dont believe in that but Im hoping for the best...thank u so much u r a sweetheart for responding to me I will keep that in mind...hopefully they get this under control ive been suffering for years now...
    • Posted

A slow diagnosis is often the fate of those with PA but your skin disease should have been a ******* fat clue!

If lyrica is not an anti-infammatory I suggest you ask your doc to add one, will definetly help to calm things down. oh my spelling has not improved overnight! 

I'll be thinking of you!

• Posted

Hi,

I also havePsoriatic Arthritis in my knees, when it was first diagnosed I was put on methotrexate, I was a bit apprehensive at first, but willing to try anything, pleased to say when they get in to your system, they really worked for me, I was on them for about 2-3 years, after that time, my legs were fine and I was clear for about 6 years, not on any medication, until last year, had a tumble and it is all back and I am struggling to walk, after having 2 steroid injections in both knees, which has been of no effect. On my next appoinment I will insist to go back on methotrexate and hopefully will start feeling better, in my opinion, its worth the hassle of the blood tests. Hope it works for you. Maureen

• Posted

change from pills to injections (they're easy to self-administer) and made a big difference to my pain control.

• Posted

Lucy im going to ask my doctor about the injections instead of pills it tears my stomach up very much...with injections where is it administered???...And also thank u sweetheart for the advice

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.