Feel like I'm dying or about to die upon waking in middle of night

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I'm 20 years old now and this used to happen sometimes when I was a kid but isn't so frequent now. What happens is I wake up in the middle of the night not from a nightmare I just wake up and I feel like I'm going to die. I don't panic or scream I just sit up and I don't really know what's going on. I feel so disconnected from my actual self but I still partly understand things. I usually just sit upright or walk around the room sometimes mumbling to myself. I remember when I was a child I would sometimes cry and go and wake my parents up but they never really understood what was happening. After maybe an hour I usually go back to sleep and wake up the next day as usual. At the time I just feel like the only thing that is happening is the fact that I'm going to die and it's a really terrifying experience. Just wondering if anyone has a similar experience or if someone can explain to me what this is?

Thanks

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

It sounds like a form of night terrors, though it's not completely typical. The fact that it probably started in childhood is a bit of a giveaway. I wonder if your parents ever told you you sleepwalked as a child. Most adult NT sufferers sleepwalked when they were young. NTs arise from the non-dreaming phase of sleep, so the fact you say you don't wake from a nightmare might make sense.

I occasionally suffer from NTs, though not often now I'm old. When they were at their height in middle age - hormonal reasons, of course - I used to have the more typical kind. I'd wake up suddenly in the grip of all kinds of bizarre scenarios that seemed real to me, and rush around doing strange things to escape. During these attacks I would be completely disconnected from my normal self, but some people retain some knowledge of what they're doing. In less typical attacks, this takes the form of my waking suddenly and having no knowledge of where - or possibly even who - I am. I still have these now on occasion, though the more dramatic ones have stopped.

Can you get yourself referred to a sleep lab? This might help to identify what's going on. I say "might" because I know night terrors are notoriously hard to produce in a sleep lab. Even people who have them every night will often not have a single one in the lab! This is generally put down to the sense of security in the sleep lab.

I'd still recommend getting yourself referred to a sleep clinic if you can. Disorders of non-REM sleep are harder to treat than those arising in REM (dream) sleep, but they should be able to help you with general sleep hygiene and possibly CBT. You might also be able to help yourself by simple sleep hygiene measures and trying to reduce stress. Most sufferers tend to notice they get more attacks in times of stress.

• Posted

Sleep hygiene involves encouraging habits that foster good sleep, while avoiding things that might disrupt sleep. So, getting enough exercise during the day to ensure you're physically tired, but not exercising late in the evening, when it could be over-stimulating. Avoiding coffee in the evening, not drinking alcohol too late in the evening, and certainly not too much, avoiding use of computer, social media etc. late in the evening - anything that might upset or over-excite the person. Also looking at any possible causes of stress and trying to address them. I believe CBT is being increasingly used for NT sufferers, as medication isn't very effective.

All the above may well reduce the number of episodes and their severity, but it's unlikely to stop them completely. The tendency to night terrors tends to be inborn in some people, so it can only be managed, not completely "cured". On the bright side, most sufferers find it improves as they get older. This was certainly the case for me. I'm in my 70s and it's been nearly 30 years since I last rushed screaming down a hotel corridor or tried to jump out of an upstairs window! I get one or two minor alarms per week, when I sit up suddenly, thinking there's something I have to do or temporarily not knowing where I am, but it doesn't really bother me any more.

• Edited

I have had similar issues, so I purchased a night vision camera to film myself as I slept. When I viewed it I was a bit shocked as I would stop breathing for long periods of time, So I discovered sleep apnea, but I have also noticed that at times it looks as though I had suffered a siezure in my sleep as well. If this happens you will wake up confused as you had a short in the nervous system of the brain and it plays havok with thought. If you have the money I can suggest getting a camera, this will help figure out what is going on.
    • Posted

OMG! Good idea Craig. need a camera that can film in the dark and revolves with the persons movement.

This is what the video telemetry unit does at neuro hospitals when someone has a sleep disorder or suffers from epilepsy. The video telemetry is done in conjunction with continuous eeg recordings in this scenario, in hospital or on a special video telemetry unit/sleep laoratory. The treatment for sleep apnoea as I understand it is CPAP.  epilepsy.

. Think it

• Posted

Hi i was wondering if you are allright now or what?

I would be happy if you answer me

• Edited

ive had this and currently have this every night.

It usually haooens within 30 minutes to an hour of me drifting off to sleep. It is awful. ive been trying magnesium before bed to assist with calm and stress levels. Too soon to tell if it is working.

i have panic disorder and anxiety disorder. Also, PTSD from life-long trauma. I am leaning toward my body and brain telling me it's tired and taking on too much. When I relax, my brain may be trying to process the trauma for me.

Exercise always helps, but can be a challenge if youre really down and tired. Hope this helps. Youre not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.