Feel like I’m dying when falling asleep

Posted , 81 users are following.

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed in 2017 with CFS after having glandular fever in 2016. I've found it difficult to get my sleep pattern in order because I cant seem to manage staying awake more than 12hours, I'm usually completely shattered after 6-8hours. Anyway, every time i struggle to get some sort of good pattern going when I'm falling asleep i feel like I'm dying and it terrifies me. So I try to stay awake a bit longer. I Just wondered if anyone else gets this?

8 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Next
  • Edited

I always feel worse for a time when I lay down to sleep. Not sure exactly what you are experiencing but I often get body spasms that seem almost internal rather than external, increased hearth rate + irregular heart beat which in turn causes irregular breathing. Also other symptoms that I wouldn't even know where to begin to describe other than to say my body just seems to hate that period where I first lay down.

I listen to audiobooks during that time which helps take my mind off of it.

• Edited

ive been having similar issues. went to the doctor. HR was 112 resting and they said its anxiety due to stress. I no longer have stress or at least i dont think that i do. I've downloaded the dare app and it does help at times. nothing seems to get rid of the feeling of I feel like i might die. this scares me beyond belief. falling asleep and then having a jolt go through my body and i cant sleep. its just terrifying.

• Edited

I'm glad there is a thread of this. For awhile now, I've been thinking maybe I am dying... like my subconscious is telling me something. What is this weird thing happening? I did go through some scary events in the last 10 years, I now have Graves Disease from all of that. I tried drinking away the anxiety for awhile but I just felt worse.

When I sit up after entering that dark place I can only describe as FEAR, I look around and feel very grateful I am all good just at home in my bed. Then I just pray that it doesn't come about again .

• Posted

When things are still and quiet, we notice more of the things our bodies do.

• Edited

I have something similar to this. I believe it is related to exploding head syndrome. It feels like a balk of directed energy bangs through me. usually from behind. One might explain it like a spirit hitting/diving through me. It's way more powerful than the falling off the cliff jerk.

• Posted

You and I experience the SAME EXACT THING!

I hope things will get better for us.

• Posted

i created an account just for this

i dont really know what els to do

i literally cant sleep anymore and the way u described it was the nearest way i could tell it

i feel just the same infact ive been struggling with it for many years now maybe even before i can remember ..

but lateley its getting out of hand

i used to be able to take control over my mind and it happened like once or twice a night

and i found ways to avoid it or wake myself up immedietly

tonight it happened about 10 times or more and it was unbarable not only i couldnt get up but i also couldnt stop myself from falling sleep again

tge last time it happened i completely felt my soul leaving my body somehow i dont even know if it nakes sense

ive been to therapy for it the doctors said its anxiety tho im sure its not

ive taken pills for years but i stopped cause it was effecting me in a very bad way

so i decided to search the internet

see what i could find but i didnt see anything like what i feel

im teying to talk to other people who might somehow have experienced the same thing i do

let me know if u read this

• Edited

HI, Shabbychic,

I’m my opinion I think you’re experiencing a classic sign of overdoing it & pushing yourself way past your limits. It can feel worse when you lay down as that’s the time when you notice the feelings more but it is definately worse the more you push yourself. You are experienced what we call a “crash.” Trying to push through it will only make it worse I’m afraid. Have you been referred to a cfs/me clinic? They will teach you how to pace activities & finding your base line (limitations) it’s a bitter pill to swallow having to make changes but this isn’t an illness you can fight. You have to listen to your body & work with it. Try to include breaks/rest periods within the day if you can & rest willingly. Your body will thank you for it.

Pet

• Edited

Dearie me that is a symptom that I can so relate to. It happens just as I relax and about to drop off to sleep....not every night but often enough. It is like a pulse or a shock all through me...scary enough to open your eyes almost in terror. I wonder what the cause is? I noticed another poster claims it could be a crash, but I am not sure. It can happen to me whether or not I have had a reasonably busy day or not...no pattern at all. I often used to get other similar odd scary neuro sensations during the day, sometimes still do...they are unsettling enough let alone when you are falling asleep. I have often thought about bringing it up with a doctor but then I think it is such an odd symtom/event would they have an answer. They have no answers to any of my neuro symptoms...other than they are not sinister...although they certainly feel like it.

• Edited

this is very similar to what i'm experiencing and its taken me some time to find a similar description online. For a long time it only happens just as i fall asleep. I get an electric shock feeling throughout my body as well as a very severe tension headache. Extremely scary.

I've been to see a neurologist 2 months ago and they were not sure. I'm surprised they did not recommend an MRI?

I now dread feeling tired as I know it will happen during the first stage of sleep.

please let me know if you have found any new information on the condition

• Edited

Came across this post and comment, and I don't know if I feel better or wonder if this something much bigger. I've had what feels almost like internal trembling that feels like your heart is racing but it's not. It typically is accompanied by a shock like feeling and I shoot out up. When it does happen I'm dosing off and it can happen over and over again as I try to fall asleep. A poundinf heart rate typically ensues and a general back, neck anf head discomfort/odd feeling. It's happened at different times since 2008 for me and recently it had been bad. Completely interfering with sleep. From everything I've read, stress and dehydration can be contributing factors. I've considered going for a sleep study, but who even knows. My doctor is not concerned... trust me of he had this going on.... I'm sure he would have had a sleep study by now.

• Edited

I completely sympathise with you. Mine are getting increasingly worse and I get them under any kind of state. For some reason Sundays seem to be the worst though and not because of stress of work the following day as I enjoy my job. I had an episode last night. Ive never been able to go to the doctor with it as it happens so quickly and out of the blue that I can't get enough information of what I have felt. This may not be an accurate description but it actually for me feels like I've gone hollow inside or my organs have stopped and my brain has sent a massive surge to start everything back up again. It almost feels like when you see people being bought back to life with paddle boards on the TV. I know it's probably not serious as I have had his for years but I constantly feel that the next one could cause damage to me. If you ever find out what it is, please report back to the group as I'm sure you're all aware, googling symptoms you can't accurately describe is almost impossible.

• Edited

Juliet, I'm very glad I found your post reply. What you describe is almost exactly what I experience - just as my brain is transitioning from consciousness to sleep I experience internal trembling that feels like my heart is racing (I wasn't sure if the recent earthquake in Melbourne was real or just this feeling!), and electric shock feelings. I also experience a strange, uncomfortable state of mind, and sometimes a sharp headache. After you mentioned dehydration I decided to buy a 2L water bottle to fill and drink each day. When I do that, I never experience this awful condition. If I forget to fill my bottle, it will almost certainly happen.

• Posted

This is exactly what is happening to me. It started after I got covid last year and it freaks me out. I get these trembling feeling that you explained and my hr feels weird but then its normal. I also get a weird distinct burnt smell whenever this thing happens. From what I observed, this happened on the days I exercise. Its just so scary

• Edited

hi juliet , i have these exact symptoms along with what i can only explain as a brain zap its not a noise its more of a droning feeling like your going to pass out every so often its so hard to explain to anyone who has not had these symptoms and to get a diagnosis as now during the day i cant get on with my normal life im wakning up in the morning with this impending sense of doom like ive woken myself up and saved myself from dying

• Posted

this is literally the same experience i have

and the psychologists didnt help in my case

they all ran some tests and said everythings normal and it might juat be for depression or anxiety

although i dont really think it has something to do with depression nor anxiety atleast not for me

it can happen when im completely calm and ok or happy , haven't had a busy or hard day in fact quiet the opposite

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.