Feel unsafe/unreal, think I'm losing it

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay, so it's currently midnight and I'm supposed to be getting up for work but I've just had these really weird, awful and random dreams that jerk me out if sleep. They weren't scary, but they seemed to come on so quickly and so randomly (one was of a running urinal for example) and I think I was having panic attacks in my sleep but as soon as I jerked myself out of it, it gradually went away quite quickly.

Now I feel unreal and unsafe like I'm not really here and that someone/something is out to get me. It's like I'm struggling now to distinguish between what was real and what I've imagined. Like I thought I heard someone going to the toilet, yet then I heard her coming up the stairs not five minutes later. Now I'm restless and tossing and turning, scared to go to sleep. I've taken some Nytol but they seemed to exacerbate it. What the heck is this? Because my chest is feeling weird and I think I'm going mad sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Edit: I meant to say getting up work early tomorrow.
    • Posted

Sounds like a panic attack with depersonalization, very common with anxiety and very frightening, its not dangerous but I know it feels awful
    • Posted

I thought it would be something like that. But this is happening more and more often. Just feels like I'm gonna feel like I'm under this cloud forever now.
  • Posted

I get this most nights- weird dreams that jerk me out of sleep and I wake up nearly gasping for a breath. i know its all in my head as I've been so scared about it happening numerous time that I've called my mum to come in to sleep with me (I feel about 5 years old again) and they automatically stop! it settles me knowing someone is there. I know this isn't much help but i find it's a relief to know your not the only one & I have have experienced this numerous nights so try to relax and think of happy things going to sleep as I've found that sometimes settles me!
    • Posted

Hi I get this too, mostly when trying to get back to sleep after early waking, really freaks me out. Completely random almost half awake / half asleep thoughts that make no sense. Then when I snap awake I can only very briefly remember the random dream thought - I hate anxiety.
    • Posted

Yes I've got it while trying to go back to sleep as well- but mine mostly happens late at night just when I'm drifting off to sleep. That's the exact same as me & it really scares me too although it's nice knowing I'm not the only one- anxiety is a horrible thing
    • Posted

Hi this is to coop and joanne.....  I am wanting to ask a couple of questions about what you go through and i dont want you to think im crazy with the questions i am going to ask please... I have been dealing with this since i was a child so i understand what you are going through. When it happens to me i am in that state of helplessness meaning i am falling asleep but not fully there .. so i am still consious but have to take all of the strength i have in me to snap out of the spiral... if yand if i dont wake up fully i will fall back into it straight away.... if you guys can answer this please then i can eleborate a little moresmilesmile
    • Posted

Hi this is to coop and joanne.....  I am wanting to ask a couple of questions about what you go through and i dont want you to think im crazy with the questions i am going to ask please... I have been dealing with this since i was a child so i understand what you are going through. When it happens to me i am in that state of helplessness meaning i am falling asleep but not fully there .. so i am still consious but have to take all of the strength i have in me to snap out of the spiral... if yand if i dont wake up fully i will fall back into it straight away.... if you guys can answer this please then i can eleborate a little moresmilesmile
    • Posted

Hi kayelene! I've personally never experienced it when I've been conscious I've always been able to wake up (well that's the problem I do wake up numerous times) but my sister use to have sleep paralysis, have you looked into it?
    • Posted

Thank you for this! I've tried the happy thoughts, they always seem to morph into a bad thought.I've tried Kalms and Nytol and Lavender pillow sprays but nothing seems to help!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.