Feeling Better with Juicing

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone.

Over the past 1-2 months I've been exhausted and feeling very sick; extra dry mouth, sore glands, etc. So, I started juicing 4 days ago and I feel better. I'm not sure if my SS symptoms ran their course for this flair and that's the reason for feeling better or if juicing helped. 

I also stopped drinking soy coffee drinks which I think helps. I had a soy drink today and afterwards I felt exhausted. Again, not sure if there's a correlation but it's new information that I'm paying attention to.

I also read that someone eliminated gluten from their diet and has been symptom free for a while. So I'm trying that also.

It's a process of elimination but I'm going to continue juicing and eliminating gluten from my diet with the hope that my symptoms subside or go into remission. This is the only thing I feel I can do to control SS and am hopeful.

Anyway, I wanted to share what I think may be helping with SS symptoms in case you may also find it helpful. 

Take good care. 

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

We'll done you...I am on Paleo eating lifestyle it's awsome...just great, it has an Autoimmune Protocol too.....unreal what we eat that makes our condition worse, it's really worth googling..and being infirmed..even if you don't go on it..you will learn what's bad for our condition..be blessed Tracy..have a lovely day..:-) xx
    • Posted

Thank you, Christine. I rec'd my book on the Paeo diet and Autoimmune Disease. VERY helpful. 
    • Posted

Hi Christine

did the diet affect your bowels at all. At the moment I have diarrhoea and feel rotten. Would you wait until this passes before embarking on the Paelo diet?

Thanks

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean - I'd start on the paleo now. Eating healthier should moderate your stomach. Good luck.
  • Posted

I agree with you Tracey and believe all sjogrens sufferers could benefit from a diet overhaul. After all we use vitamins and minerals in a different way to others. I've had it all my life but only diagnosed 15 years ago. I've been vegetarian since then. It's got worse over the years but I'm on no meds and will continue to refuse them while I can manage it myself. I can generally pace myself but had been feeling tired recently after a busy day. I've cut outgluten too and feeling much better. There are certain foods that aggravate the condition and I think gluten is one of them. I'd also recommend taking plant sterols (I can give you the names of the best ones if you message me). I would strongly recommend giving up meat of you haven't already done so. The tennis player Venus Williams has sjogrens and has recently competed against her sister and she has sjogrens. She's also vegan and managing hers by diet. I honestly think this is the only way to control it.
  • Posted

Thanks for the info. The soy and gluten causes inflammation from what I can gather.

Jean

• Posted

Well done Tracy! I think there's another point in here too. As we all know, Sjogren's is the result of an over-active immune system that has turned against its own side. "Friendly fire" in effect! When we start to take charge of managing our own symptoms, by whatever method, we send a message to our immune system that we know what it's up to.

I hope you get the desired effect from the changes in your diet, but don't get discouraged if you don't. Just hang on to the idea that you're in charge.

• Posted

Hi Tracy!

I stopped eating Gluten and feel much better. I went and had an allergy test and this is what I learned. A person can test negative to a sensetivity to wheat and other grains and nuts but if you show extreme sensetivity to grasses and trees (which I did ) you can feel ill effects from any food that they produce example:

Melons,Peanuts,Corn, Wheat...etc This is called a Cross Reaction. Learning this has helped me become more aware of the foods I choose. I went on both the Paleo and Paleo AIP and did lose weight and thought I felt better. But two of my doctors suggested to me I was getting a Placebo effect because of the lack of proof from medical studies that the diet has a significant effect on Autoimmune illness. ( that burst my bubble) but I didn't go off the diet. And I still get miserable flares. As far as the juicing goes I read we lose the fiber when we throw away the pulp of the veggies and fruit but we do feel better because they are tasty and a nice shot of natural sugars (hope I am not bursting your bubble!). I would suggest testing for food sensetivities if you can. See what you body is considering an enemy. I also feel bad when I have Soy ( i guess the beans grow on a grass?)

something to consider. Feel better,

Sally

• Posted

Sally, So what if the improvement is down to placebo effect? If you thought you felt better, then you felt better! There's absolutely nothing wrong with placebo effect. Even some doctors are beginning to believe that. Not sure where you are in the world, but Dr. Michael Mosley recently covered this very issue in a BBC2 documentary. (Can't remember the name of it now or when it was.) He came to the conclusion that at least half the improvements brought about by conventional treatments are down to placebo effect!

Since Sjogren's is an auto-immune condition, it carries a major psycho-somatic element, practically by definition. It's therefore perfectly normal that it should be sensitive to placebo effect. And just once more, in case anyone hasn't read my earlier posts on the subject and throws a wobbly: psychosomatic isn't the same as imaginary. Psychosomatic conditions produce measurable changes in blood chemistry etc. You can die of a psychosomatic illness.

I'm very susceptible to placebo effect myself, and very happy about it. Why on earth would anyone want to take potentially dangerous medications, with all the attendant risks of side-effects, when a harmless placebo would do the job just as well? I really can't understand why some doctors are so sniffy about it. OK... yes, I do know why, but let's not go there. I've said it before on this site but I suspect if I say it too often I might get modded!

When I first started training as a nurse, more than 50 years ago, doctors were still authorised to hand out sugar pills and coloured water, in recognition of the importance of the placebo effect. But by the late 60s this had all been declared unethical and the sugar pills were often replaced by valium or its predecessor librium. (I'm not making this up!) In fairness, though, they didn't know about the terrible withdrawal effects of benzos in those days.

Listen to what your body is telling you. Take charge of your own health. That's the real way forward for any auto-immune condition.

• Posted

Hi Sally - thanks for sharing your experience and the advice.

I'm glad you didn't go off of your diet and wouldn't let your doctors burst your bubble relative to your diet. Based on everything I've been reading what we ingest absolutely has a positive (or negative) impact on autoimmune diseases -- particularly gluten. What's more is it makes sense.

Juicing, for me, is helpful to augment my diet. I eat smaller meals and augment with juice. I find the blast of micronutrients from organic juice (primarilly green vegetables) boosts my energy substantially.  

I'm cutting out soy drinks and just started cutting out nuts, beans, etc. We'll see how it goes but am hopeful.

Take good care. Tracy.

• Posted

Theres nothing wrong with healthy eating, juicing or whatever you want to call it.  Consuming more fruit and veg in whatever form has got to be good and better than a diet of junk.  My favourite is apple, carrot and ginger.

I'm still thinking that gluten plays a bit part and I certainly feel better now I've cut it out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.