Feeling high/ spaced out or lightheaded for a week after cold

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m a 29 year old male, and have been feeling very off since my cold symptoms last week. My cold has since gone away except for congestion, but I feel like I smoked pot ( I don’t smoke pot btw) or I’m a little drunk or spaced out I guess. I went to the ER 3 different times because I have never really felt this way before. They did all of the normal tests. Blood pressure, simple neurological exam, blood work, urine sample, ekg, chest x-ray and even a ct scan. Everything came back normal. The ER Doctor told me that my right ear looks a little agitated inside and that is what is causing this feeling of being really lightheaded or the feeling of being high on weed. He prescribed me antibiotics and sent me home. It’s been about 5 days since this feeling in my head started, and 3 days since I started antibiotics and I’m afraid of it lasting forever. This is causing a great deal of anxiety and I can’t help to think that it will never go away. Is this really a normal symptom of an ear infection to feel like I smoked pot or am drunk? Or am I going mad? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had an ear infection years ago, you could tell it was an ear infection because not only was it very painful, but if you turned your head quick, so your nose ended up where your ear was a second ago, you could smell it was an ear infection.

That never made me feel how you describe and exactly as I have been feeling for many months now, ever since I took beta blockers for a few months this time last year.

I am wondering if it is brain damage caused by my low blood oxygen count once I go to sleep? (See image below).

• Posted

Do you ever feel so lightheaded that you feel like you’re going to faint? I get that way, but I think it’s anxiety getting the best of me. I had a pretty severe cold last week actually. Probably one of the worst sore throats I’ve ever had and I remember one night it felt like my inner ears were burning sort of. I never really had any pain in my ear though.  Maybe it is just a bad inner ear infection and I need to ride it out. I’m sorry that you have felt the same for many months. I truly hope you feel better soon. 
    • Posted

Yes, I feel as if I have maybe a 10 percent grasp on consciousness, I feel dizzy, I feel as if I have drank about three pints of beer all the time. I hope your MRI has good news for you.

• Posted

So I finally got into my pcp today, and he told me that ct scans don’t always pick up on everything. He ordered an MRI with dye to rule out silent seizures or a brain aneurysm etc, although he said he doesn’t think it’s either. He prescribed me some antivert with the hopes that it will help. I will try anything at this point because my anxiety is through the roof on this one. I really hope my MRI comes back normal and this is just a bad inner ear infection screwing with my head and it will go away soon. I can’t stop thinking of the worst case scenario.
  • Posted

Andrew, did you ever find out what it was causing it? I've been feeling like that for almost 6 months now. Been told it's post viral and could take up to 12-18 months to go away. It's scary.

• Posted

Hi!

Erm Improved but given diagnosis of ME with viral illness being the Trigger. Long Covid is more or less identical to my experience. I also found out my Epstein Barr Virus has reactivated through a blood test.

Hipe this

• Posted

Anxiety increases health problems. Work on anxiety and look far opinions which ease your mind. Your symptoms could be side effects from the antibiotics. Speak to your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.