Feeling unwell whilst taking sertraline.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have starting taking sertraline 50mg for depression. I have starting feeling sick cant stomach anything start burning up and achy body. Just feel like I need to be sick every time. And also tiredness.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Haley,

Sertraline have a lot of side affects the first week is the worst

my doctor put me on 25mg for the fist five days then uped it to 50mg after that so my side affects were not bad,I was given sertraline for anxiety and depression felt some improvment after 10 days must admit it was 5 weeks to the day of my first pill i felt realy good again, you have to stick with them i can assure you its been worth it.Hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Hello fr Tx USA. I took Sertraline for 3 months an also took Klonapine 0.5mg as needed for anxiety. 50mg started . Back in 2014. First

month battled constant diarrhea, anorexia, lost wt. a little in crease in anxiety an more crying. Stomach hurt. I got to where I would break a pill in half an take half in am an half in pm. Unfortunately, mentally it started helping after 5 wks but I got sicker an sicker physically. Felt like I had flu on 2 month. Taking alot of Ibup. You shouldn't take anti-inflammatories while on Anti-depressants due to increase in bleeding. So I was bruised alot. Finally went to Dr cause I felt so horrible physically. Bloodwork done. Liver enzymes had gone up. Kinda like hepatitis caused by Sertraline. I was told to stop rt away. My liver was fine before I started it. I lowered to 25mg for 2 wks then stopped. After 2-3 months liver enzymes normal again an all physical symptoms gone but depression came back. So cant take it. Id watch that all over body pain. If it continues or you have liver area pain or upper back pain, get bloodwork done just to check. Sertraline isnt for everyone. Theres other meds out there. Im currently on 30mg Duloxetin (Cymbalta)for a little over 2 wks. Feel just blah rt now. At first extreme fatigue. Now just thinking"Whats the point?" On anything. Dont want to do anything. No motivation. So I hope that goes away soon. Christmas is coming an I dont even feel like decorating! Keep eye on symptoms. Goodluck. Remember it does take 4-6 wks for real relief mentally.

• Posted

Thank you soo much. X you just mentioned liver pain. Well on my right side under my rib I been getting a pain it comes and goes. Could that be related. I hate having these side effects eevtthing I smell and taste just knock me sick X
  • Posted

Stick it through this is normal for everyone taking this drug I was the same to begin with and I now stepped up to 100mg and feeling some side effects again
    • Posted

Hate feeling like this. sad I'm not normal a depressed person I am the most happiest person going. All my friend and family said I too happy to be depressed but I have noticed the past few month I had episode of depression that why I went to the doctor to get help because I knew this isn't me. X

• Posted

Hi ya , I know that feeling. I'm similarly a happy go lucky guy who just started getting this very scared feeling about 5 years ago. I'm now on Lustral 50mg. It takes some weeks to take best effect and it does take this time.. When starting out it does get worse before you get a lift In my experience. I also attend CBT and find the combination works well but still have off days .Best of luck Hayley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.