Feels like appendix is “grumbling” 3 months after appendix mass. What are NHS protocols?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I got diagnosed for appendix mass, when they operated to perform what was thought to be a simple appendectomy. The hospital kept telling me that my symptons , age and reaction to pain indicated that "it must be something else" causing pain, its only mild appencitis. i then waited 2 days for surgery. To cut a long story short, the abcess they found was "colossal" and sat on top of my bowel. they could not risk removing the mass as they could have perforated my bowel.

I was treated with IV antibiotics for 10 days , followed by oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. I then had a CT scan to check the area and a conoloscopy to check the bowel. both came back normal. I have my consultation with the surgeon in a few days time and really dont want to be fobbed off again. I am in considerable pain after 3 months recovery and feel as if i have low grade appencitis . what are the gold standard NHS norms for dealing with appendix mass? Some info on line points to another op to remove whats left behind, others claim its dealt with using antibiotics. What rights do I have in terms of involvement in the treatment plan?What can I push for?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am going through the same as you but it been a year and still got issues, they are now saying its IBS but no way is it . How did you get on? did the take them out for you? hope your feeling better I feel for you 😃

• Posted

sorry you are experiencing similar problems. not easy in everyday life. I saw the consultant, who told me there are a variety of possible sources of pain and ongoing problems it . is possibility that some appendix may have been left behind, in which case, i could get appendicitis again. i may have adhesions from previous surgery or it could be nothing other than IBS , as suggested to you too.

Either way, he said the only way to get to work it out is to perform a laproscopy . If any appendix is left behind or if adhesions are affecting my bowel badly, they will need to remove part of the bowel, which will mean 2 weeks in hospital and about 2 to 3 months feeling v ill. ( the appendix in my previous op had abcessed on top of my bowel, and wasnt removed in total , due to the risk of bowel perforation. on the other hand it could be nothing or though its difficult to believe as my symptons are worsening.

Im now on a waiting list for an op.

hope you get some help soon too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.