Fell off a ladder at work... Frustrated

Posted , 3 users are following.

so i have chiari, i have yet to have surgery. I have pushed it off for 3 years...I work a lot of hours and ignore most of my symptoms. (with the help of medicine) I fell off a ladder at work last week and hit both my back and neck. Not sure if i actually blacked out, but when i finally stood up, i had wet myself without realizing it. i feel again this week off my porch. I've had X-rays, CT scan and now I'm going for a full spine MRI tomorrow to make sure i don't have a synrix develop before they clear me to return back to work. if i have developed a synrix I'm afraid they wont let me return back to work and they will finally expect me to have surgery. i don't have the money nor the insurance to pay for it...i also cant afford to miss that much work....

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear this ! I'm praying for you that they don't find anything .

Is it possible at all, that since it happened at work , your work would have to pay for it ? I'm not sure how it works in the states...

I know if worse case scenario , massage therapy can help a lot in the mean time or even an Ostheopath , they work with bones so they might be able to relieve some of the pressure in your neck and back .

Keep us posted and good luck .

• Posted

so far workers comp has paid for everything (xray, CT scan and the MRI i will be having tomorrow) However i dont know if they will pay for my surgery, since I'm able to get around again?

• Posted

If a Synrix develops, is it possible that it would have been caused by the fall ? If so, weather you can move around or not , it is still a danger and needs to be fixed .

• Posted

agreed, it does need to be fixed. i guess i will have to just wait and see what happens when i get the report back and what the doctor says... i just can't see myself sitting at home for the next few weeks until i have surgery and then the next few weeks after that after having the surgery. i have 3 jobs lol, I'm not used to sitting still, even when I'm hurting. i take a day off every other week if I'm lucky.

• Posted

I had the decompression surgery, and like most of us either it was a temporary fix or did nothing at all to relieve the symptoms in the long term because the hole in the back of the head that they give you does nothing to address the CAUSE of Chiari. Then I had filum terminal dissectum surgery...which does address the cause, because it releases the tension on the hindbrain, stopping the herniation from descending further, and in many cases allows for upward migration the Chiari herniation. Yes, upward migration of the hindbrain, which is the CURE. Dr. Paolo Bolognese followed hundreds of patients with follow-up MRI's after said dissectum surgery and they show an average of 3.5 mm of said upward migration. If Chiari is clinically labled as 5 mm, well you do the math. This surgery got me out of bed after 3 years and has given me and my family HOPE for a future. Three US neurosurgeons perform this surgery and one in Spain (where I went). Do your research before you let some put a hole in the back of the head, which in itself can lead to a whole bunch of other problems. God Bless

• Posted

I've never heard of that before, thank you! I'm definitely going to look into that! hopefully I can find a doctor around my area (at least within 100 miles) that knows how to perform it!

• Posted

i Google it and actually i believe I've come across this once.. i watched a seminar of a Doctor speaking about chiari and surgery not working and what should have been done. he talks about doing the split and going deeper in then most doctors and how the herniation can come back up and sometime its not even synrixs from a chiari they are "leaky" due to multiple epidural sticks.. it was a really long yet very interesting seminar on YouTube.. not sure if thats the same t

• Posted

No, this surgery is performed at bottom of spine, not at back of head like traditional decompression surgery. Only 4 doctors in world perform this that I know of, because insurance companies still do not cover it. Filum Terminal Dissectum is a 45 minute surgery done just above the intergluteal cleft (butt crack) and the next day you are walking around just taking an over-the-counter pain medication. I took Advil I think. Dr. Heffez in Wisconsin, Dr. Henderson in Maryland, Dr. Bolognese in New York and Dr. Salvador in Barcelona, Spain. Saved my life and got me out of bed after nearly 3 years. Do your research.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.