Felt sick since HIDA scan....

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, I had my scan yesterday for gallbladder and biliary (sorry if thats terrible spelling!)

Before I went for the scan I thought all my problems had been sorted as i've recently had surgery to remove a dermoid ovarian cyst which happened to be on the right side also. Although i'm still recovering (it kicked my butt!) I was confident that this scan now on my gallbladder was just to rule out anything else. During an abdominla scan they found a small polyp in my gallbladder and when I said i've felt sick after eating fatty foods that triggered this scan.

I felt fine before the scan, it was blooming long mind - 45 mins to start with after the injection and then came the drink -  I don't drink milk much, omly in tea and I always have semi-skimmed so I could see the milkshake was made with blue top and then some sort of vanilla high fat shake I pressume. Well bugger me after about 20 mins I felt so sick. I had the other scan 50 mins later and thankfully that lasted a lot less then the first one.

That was yesterday lunchtime and i've not felt right since!

Can I ask what other people's experience was and what if any outcome came of the scan? As I say, i'm not really bothered that anything is wrong with me as such - maybe just all that fat in one go upset my stomach?

Would love to hear from you smile

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm due to get this scan on Tuesday but wasn't too sure what's involved in it?

• Posted

Hi Scottie,

It's really not too bad, you fast for 4 hours beforehand and have an injection first. About 10mins later you have the scan, its like a ct scan except you dont go all the way in and the plate comes just over your chest. They monitor the injection tracer and this takes about 45 mins.

It was only uncomfortable as I hadn't realised it wouldbe that long so really get comfortable before it starts ok!

Once you have the drink you come back an hour later and have the last scan, that only takes minutes.

Hope it all goes well for you, just don't espect any news there and then i'd say.

• Posted

Perfect thanks!!

Got to fast from midnight and nothing milky from 6pm tonight either.

Did the drink make you feel ill afterwards? What's it like?

Already been close to getting admitted again over the weekend so don't want that setting things off again!

Not expecting to get results until I see the surgeon in a few weeks, although may phone doc before then to find out as they'll get a copy too. Impatient as ever haha

• Posted

Hey,

All I saw was full fat (blue top) milk being added to some milkshake powder which was vanilla flavour and actually I thought quite nice, I was starving by then so I'd of eaten a scabby horse mind you wink

It's very thick but easy to drink, just try and drink it quickly so within the hour it's doing what it should be.

It made me feel sick after about 40 mins but I don't know why!

Best of luck!!

• Edited

Ok so i've had a letter today, it doesn't give me any other information apart from that me gallbladder isn't working normally and i've been referred to a consultant for consideration of surgery.

I really don't want surgery if I can help it, i'm going to do some research to see if I can 'help myself and my gallbladder' but i'm guessing I really need to know what's wrong with my gb, I have no stones to my knowledge, only a small polyp.

• Edited

If you're gall bladder isn't working properly it is best to just get it out as eventually it will cause problems. Usually a polyp isn't a problem on its own as it stays in one place but if your test show its the gall bladder isn't working properly just get it gone. I had gall stones and the pain I had was horrific and could have me off my feet for days as it could last for 6+hours the id be so tired. I had my gall bladder taken out yesterday. Went for surgery at 2.30 was woken at 5 given painkillers and anti sickness tableta taken back to room and just pain killers and colpermin to help with any gas pain. Walked around some ate some painkillers throughout the night. Came home at 11am this morning. Other than painful incision sites I feel bloody better than I have in 18 months. ! And I can eat what I want.

• Posted

I got a HIDA scan done yesterday. I've been having gallbladder/acid reflux issues for 3.5-4 years. I was feeling fine yesterday even with the fasting until I got the scan as well. I woke up today feeling super puffy, nauseas and tired. Really frustrating because I feel just horrible. My results came back with 28% function and biliary Dyskinesia diagnosis and no acid reflux. Come to find out the PPIs I have been taking for reflux for almost 2 years might have been making it worse, then masking the symptoms.

But to answer your question, yes, I feel awful too post scan. I blame that stupid Ensure shake.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.