FEMALE FLEXIBLE CYSTOSCOPY EXPERIENCE

Posted , 7 users are following.

I wanted to write about my experience of flexible cystoscopy, as when I was going to have mine, I found very little information about the experience for women, and it was worrying. I hope this is helpful to others!

In my case I had been having really pesistent, severe and regular urinary infections for about three years (I'm 20 now, and I would have them nearly monthly, about 10 in the past year), so this is why they (eventually) suggested the procedure in conjunction with an ultrasound scan.

Let me start by telling you this; the waiting and worrying IS the worst part, at least in my experience. It seems like it's going to be the worst thing in the world and is incredibly nerve wracking, but the procedure was painless.

After booking in and going through details, I was asked to change into a gown with bottom half garments removed, then waited in a specific room.

When I was called in the doctor (a male doctor, I thought I would be phased by this but I wasn't as he was so nice) went through my details quickly, and explained the procedure fully, took the time to answer any questions, and made sure I was at ease. I would say that feeling at ease doctor was a big part of why this went so smoothly. I didn't feel embarrassed or upset as I thought I would be. If your doctor specifically is making you feel uneasy or won't make sure if you have questions, are aware of what's going on etc, it could make things more difficult. It's up to you if you want to go through with the procedure or not in this case, be sensible about it (try not to confuse this with plain nerves), but remember that you do have the choice to stop/organise it again with another doctor if you feel really uncomfortable with the person.

OK, so they put a cloth over you with a hole in it, clean you up and then apply some anaesthetic to the urethra with a syringe (without a needle). This felt cold but was painless.

Very soon after the scope is inserted. In my case this didn't hurt, at all. I could feel it, but it was only mild discomfort, not even amounting to the typical discomfort of a urinary infection. I could feel it most when it was rotated (to look all around the bladder), that was slightly more uncomfortable but I wouldn't really say it was painful.

The scope took about a minute, the whole process took about 10 minutes or under I would say.

Afterwards it was explained that I could have some minor bleeding and pain passing water and I could develop a urinary infection (I was given a prescription just in case).

Afterwards I did have mild bleeding for 2-3 days and some discomfort for about the same amount of time, no worse than an average UTI I'd say. This could vary from person to person, so try and take some time off to rest if it's very uncomfortable.

Waiting and worrying about it was definately the worst thing about the experience. I don't think many people can truly be at ease with this sort of thing, if I had another I would probably still have a few nerves. Just make sure you get any questions answered and ask your doctor to explain what he's doing as he's doing it if that would help you.

In my case they didn't find anything wrong, but I was glad to have had it done and eliminate the possibility. Now I'm on prophylactic antibiotics - I take an antibiotic every night, and it seems to have worked so far smile

Hope that helps any other women having this procedure to know a bit more about the experience!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh, also, I wasn't having a biopsy done or anything. If you are, I imagine the scope part of the procedure would take a little longer.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for your post on this. I am due to have this tomorrow.

Been fretting to the point of cancelling.

Going to attend feeling a whole load better about it now.

• Posted

I dont know if anyone is on here any more but if you are please respond. I've had pain during urination for sometime and worry this procedure is going to exacerbate that pain. I already have blood in my urine, and constant abdominal pain. My urine cytology came back with abnormal cells. the Ct scan showed something and now I have this cystoscopy thing tomorrow. I'm so sick with worry. I've been prescribed a dose of anti anxiety medication to take 30 minutes prior. someone if your out there please say something.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.