Fentanyl withdrawal last patch taken off w/ds getting worse!!! Help!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I have been doing a tapered detox for 6 months and I finally took of my last 12mg patch 2 days ago and now the pain is unbearable. I am using all my back up mess oxy and declifenac injections pls diazipam but nothing is getting anywhere near the pain. I feel like I have been hit by a bus every muscle group feels badly pulled it torn and my Spine is in full lock up. I can’t move without excruciating pain staring within seconds. My back is in spasm and won’t stop.

I don’t know what to do I spoke to my GP and he advised just keep taking the back ups and basically have to suck it up and get through it.

Fentanyl was my main primary painkiller and I was in 125mg patches every 48hrs and now I have nothing to stop it just my breakthrough meds.

My Gp has also put me on 600mg gabapentin abd meloxicam a couple of weeks ago but thy don’t seem I be doing anything at all. I can’t keep still my legs are all over the place and I can’t sleep.

I don’t know what to do. I tried a hot shower to see if it could help but the movement to get there and then in there flares it even worse so it backfired on me.

I’ve already been through hell but this is a new type of hell with the pain increase along with the wd’s symptoms I have considered giving up and putting a patch on as I can’t take this much pain for much longer.

Is it going to get worse over the next week? 

I just want to know how bad and how long this will last?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you 

Andy

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Andy, the gabapentin maybe making it worse. I'm not a Doctor but I've suffered 5 years of excruciating pain due to the side effects of that evil med!  Look into it and read the forums of gabapentin from other former users. Those withdrawals are hell too!  Every Doctor I saw said it's a safe effective alternative to opiates!  It nearly killed Me at 3600 mg a day for 5 years. It messes with your brain and CNS!  Just a thought!  Please read what others say! Good luck and please let Me know if slowly lowering with Your Doctors approval helps!  It has to be done slow taper and Doctor needs to help if you choose to try this!  

• Posted

Andy, I was on 125 mg of fentanyl for 15 years and it took me over a year to get off it.  I would step down and stay at that level for three months.  It is a powerful drug.  125,  to 100 three month to 75 three months to 50, to 25 to 12 each level three months.  Each step down My legs were wild, some days rocking and other feeling really down.  I went to physical therapy and they were able to put pressure on my back muscles and massage them to release the frozen spasms.  This took about 14 months.  I still use a small dose of morphine but are stepping that down because it has put my colon to sleep.  I have a set of exercises that I have to do daily to keep my pain down to a level I can tolerate.  I also have a neuro stimulator inplanted in my spine to help with the chronic pain.  I know it stinks but hopefully you can go to a pain management doctor to help you deal with this withdrawal and       deal with your pain.  GP are good but they do not have the knowledge needed for the problem you have in my opinion.  I take gabapentin also and working on 1200 mg divided over three doses per day.   It can make me sleepy but helps with the nerve pain that opitates do not reach.  I have used this meds for 16 years.  If you donot have a pain management doctor You may have to put the patch back on to get specialized help.  FEntanyl is a powerful med and your body id dependent on it.  I have been told that after five days it gets better but I know others that have had awful body withdrawls for months.  I pray you get the help you need.  

I will be watching for your updates.

susan

• Posted

Susan

Thanks for your message appreciate it.

I am already off the fentanyl nearly 4 days patch free feel really bad pain is at an unbearable level at present and I can only take my back up meds every 4 hours so they help but only for a short time.

I too do exercises to help with the muscle groups but they are all so painful at the moment it just flares the pain up again. I still do them though as it will help in some way even if the pain is worse for a while. 

I’ve read that the first 3-5 days off are the worst and then it starts to get better.

God I hope so. 

I have s 5 year old son and and 26wrek pregnant fiancé who I can’t help with anything at all right now and that makes me feel worse. The depressed side of things doesn’t help but I’m fighting that and I am in anti depressants for that which are helping.

I want to just get through this now and be there for my family. I don’t think, knowing what I do now about how bad it is I would wilingly put myself or my family through it again. 

I spend an hour on the floor last night trying to get my spine to unlock but no joy.

My pain management program has just finished agmfter the last failed procedure denervation of my thoracic spine. There is nothing mire they can do for me right now.

I am being referred I neuro surgeons to see if they can operate to make it better. They said no 3 years ago as risk was to high but my spine has moved since and condition is progressive so maybe now they will take the risk.

Can only hope.

Andy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.