Fermented Foods: is pasteurised ok, or not?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good morning

I'm a senior citizen, and no sort of health professional, but (naturally) self-interested in good nutrition. The recent link to the article about the benefits of fermented foods on one's biome prompts me to ask whether it matters that those foods have been pasteurised. There's a wide choice of sauerkraut variations, for instance, but I've not yet found any that aren't labelled as pasteurised. Wouldn't pasteurisation kill off the live cultures that bring the benefits?

Robert

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Good morning robert27602, I share your suspicion. That's why I prefer yogurt with the label "contains live cultures". However, there is some evidence that fermentation can increase the bio-availability of minerals like iron and zinc. So even if the live cultures have been removed by pasteurization or baking (for example sourdough) there could still be some benefit to consuming fermented foods.

When it comes to sauerkraut, I never understood why people don't at least try once to prepare it at home. All that is needed is cabbage, salt, and a clean glass jar. The cabbage is sliced finely, placed in a large bowl and mixed with 1.5% salt by weight. The salt is worked into the cabbage until it releases some juice. The cabbage is then stuffed tightly into the jar and the juice is poured on top of it. The most important bit is to weigh down or pin down (traditionally with dried dill stalks) the sliced cabbage to keep it submerged in the liquid. It is best to keep the jar in a dark place. It will take around 4-5 days (dependent on the temperature) for the cabbage to ferment.

It is a good idea to place the jar on a plate - during the fermentation some liquid might spill out. Afterwards, I keep the sauerkraut in the fridge and even the juice can be used like a vinegar to sour stews.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.