Ferritin and Trans saturation levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

What levels would be considered indicative of haemochromatosis  for a 40 year old female?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i dont think age is a factor, but typically a level of around 1000 will make drs want to take action, although anything from around 500 would make them investigate
    • Posted

I thought age was a factor for women because information relates to pre and post menopausal women differently.  Also I thought 500 was the level for males but for females it is lower, but I may be wrong as we know so little.

• Posted

The mechanics are different for women yes and its why its not usually picked up till later on life,but there are no variations really dependant on age. Females are lower than males yes, for males actually anything higher than 250 is high, but few docs would act on a level that isn't significantly high,at least not immediately as high levels can mean other things. The only positive diagnosis comes from the gene test,which is typically given if ferratin levels remain high
  • Posted

If you are still menstruating, pathologists in Australia report that ferritin >120 is indicative of haemochromatosis, BUT it must be in conjunction with Trans Sat % levels >45%.

Otherwise high ferritin can be caused by inflammation, infection, fatty liver, alcohol but the TS% is generally in the normal range.

There have been women in their early 20's on this forum reporting positive to haemochromatosis (genetically as well as high ferritin), so there are no rules.

Post menopause, or during, when menstruation is not happening much, the indicative level is >200, and your ferritin level can sky rocket.

It is important to have your dr monitor your levels regularly (6-12 monthly), and if the dr refuses to order treatment, go donate to the Blood Banks and do it at least every 3 months if your levels are still close to normal range.  Don't wait for it to increase to prove to your dr.  If you have haemochromatosis, your high TS% is proof enough, as long as you tell your dr you are donating blood to keep your ferritin down.  It could eventually get to the stage that donating every 3 months is not enough.

If your levels are > than the ranges indicated above, you are entitled to a genetic test, so keep badgering for one.

So you need to fully educate yourself on this disorder, contact and get info from your country's haemochromatosis assoc, take it to dr and be assertive.  Drs are often ignorant, or in denial, of this disorder - so you have to look after yourself.

Let us know how you go.

• Posted

Can you also tell me what is the difference between HH and GH?
    • Posted

HH = hereditary haemochromatosis, GH = genetic haemochromatosis, therefore same thing.  You might also see HC, which does not indicate that it  has a genetic cause.

I have also seen HH used for another totally different issue, but cannot remember off the top of my head.

A lot of drs call high ferritin haemochromatosis, although there is no genetic proof.  It is just high ferritin (hyperferritinaemia) from other causes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.