Fever and night sweats after 2nd knee replacement

Posted , 1 user is following.

hi, i am on day 12 post op for my 2nd knee surgery. had 1ST in may 2018 and it went well. i have osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis affecting my hand joints at the moment. on day 2-3 post op still in hospital i developed low grade fever, not constant it varied with and without meds like paracetamol but never higher than 38 C( one occassion). they did blood tests and CrP AND sedimentation was elevated but Crp was elevated even before surgery and they said it could be due to rheumatoid arthritis. for this blood works they said both can be also elevated due to trauma of surgery and coupled with low grade fever i was released home on day 8 post surgery and told fever is standard post op and because there is some bruising and a hemathoma that could be causing it. i asked how long can this last but wasnt given a clear answer. my surgery was done under spinal epidural and some pills that put you to sleep so it wasnt classic anasthesia where you might expect your body flushing meds out, at least not for this long . since then i had low grade fever continue but also extreme night sweating- literally drenched waist up (no sweat smell) several times a night. my daughter insisted i do urine test for uti as i had catheter with my gp and she felt my urine was darker and smellier and test showed high leukocytes count so gp put me on antibiotics. now its day 3 of antibiotics, i finally have some feeling in my bladder ie feeling full and actually needing to go. but fever and especially sweats and general fatigue remains. gp assured me these symptoms should resolve with antibiotics but while i see some bladder and urinary tract progress i still dont feel well at all and now really getting worried its something far more complicated. the wound looks ok and dry, still a bit swallen and there is a haematoma thats starting to look better a bit. My fever is rarely over 37.5, yesterday it started late afternoon and evening and resolved on its own; today i just had to take paracetamol for pain so it went down from 37.3, i am trying to not take paracetmol for pain as trying to see if at least fever is going away but finding it difficult as obviously there is pain especially at the back around the calf and knee itself; also night sweats wake me up and when i measure temp after- its low- 36.3 to 36.7. this is such a different experience than last surgery and i am really now starting to get worried and super anxious and i havent slept in days which isnt helping with recovery obviously. any feedback or experiences from you guys with any of this would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.