fibromyalgia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am waiting to hear from my neurologist when he gets the results of the blood tests an d MRI scans but read an article in today's papers about fibromyalgia. The symptoms sound very much like my own. Does anyone know what ihese are ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

What symptoms do you have ? I have had various MRI scans, blood tests, muscle biopsy and EMG tests but as yet I have no diagnosis. My investigations started 2 and a half yrs ago

• Posted

My symptoms vary. I get aches in my arms and legs in different places. It is worse in the mornings. It is sometimes difficult to walk and one time I was unable to get up from a cinema seat without help from others. This happened again afterwards in a restaurant. I have poor digestion.feel tired most of the time probably from sleeping badly and have been unwell off and on for over two years but put this down to the side effects of the side effects of various pills for high blood pressure. I have just had my ears dove for excess wax at my local surgery and was telling the nurse about waiting to see the neurologist and she said that her stepfather has fibromyalgia and is treated with cortisone to good effect. Are your symptoms similar to mine ? Rhodri.
  • Posted

Hi

The first symptom I noticed was wasting of my right calf muscle. I found it difficult to raise up on to my toes and I struggled to run. I dont sleep well at night due to stiffness and generally uncomfortable. I take 20mg Amytriptyline at night which helps. I now have weakness in my shoulders and the grip of my right hand. Limb girdle muscular dystrophy has been mentioned. I first saw a neurologist at Blackpool Victoria hospital, my local hospital. They referred me to a neurologist at Manchester who then sent me to see a Professor at Newcastle. I find I am very stiff in a morning until I get moving. Exercise seems to help loosen my muscles but afterwards as I cool down they stiffen again. If I stand or sit for any length of time I find it hard to get moving again. I can only walk at a steady pace, if I go quicker I get pain in my lower back and right hip.

regardsĀ 

• Posted

I will let you know what my consultant says when I get summoned to see him at Ipswich Hospital. The more people I talk to the more I realize that fibromyalgia is infact fairly common whereas I had not heard of it before and can be treated but will not go away. It says the constant acheing can lead to depression. Two drugs were mentioned, pregabafin and gabapendin. But all the information that I have is from the internet so until I see the consultant I might be jumping to the wrong conclusions ! Is it possible that you could ask one of your consultants as to the possibility of your having fibromyalgia ? Rhodri.
  • Posted

I tried gabapentin but I had to stop taking it as it gave me bad headaches.

I will certainly mention fibromyalgia at my next appointment . At present I am waiting for results of blood test for Pompe disease

Regards

• Posted

Best of luck. I will let you know how I get on when I have seen my consultant at Ipswich Hospital. Rhodri.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.