Fifth metatarsal fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

It was on February 23, 2015.  I was playing basketball. I jumped and I landed on my fifth metatarsal.

The doctor put me a short leg cast (foot, ankle and lower leg)

I wanna know some advice to take care my injury. Can I move my toes? Which food would help me to recover? How can I rehab? What should I do, while I have the cast on my foot? What after?

Thank you for the tips that you could give me.

It would be great that you could help me with some info.

Have a nice weekend.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to tell u that I'm walking on crutches.
  • Posted

I too have broken 5th metatarsal, doctors don't tell you what to do.  I was in an aircast boot for a week , frightened to move my toes, then I saw another doctor and he said it was fine to wiggle them  ..what a relief!!!    I have 4 more weeks in this heavy heavy boot,   
    • Posted

Thanks for ur comment Daphne. I’ve to stay 30 days in this cast. I just have 8 days in it.

Any advice is welcome!

• Posted

Yep. I gotta put some pillows under my leg. It’s not very comfortable. But I’ve to do it.

It may be useful, search on You Tube: “Tips for recovering from a fifth metatarsal fracture” By Danille M. 

• Posted

I did mine on Feb 12th, A&E x-rayed my ankle which showed fracture to fibula, in fracture clinic next day Dr thought I'd done my 5th metatarsal as well, and he was right. So short leg cast non weight bearing told to keep it elevated and wiggle my toes. Week later new x-ray shows wide gap in 5th M fracture, eventually had a screw put in on the 27th. Told no weight bearing again 2 weeks with a very heavy back slab, stitches out then a new short leg cast go back in 4 weeks.

I'm told I will have arthritis in it, due to where the fractures are, cast should come off next visit so long as it's healed ok. Can't say till then if I get boot or walking cast next, screw will have to come out at a later date so that' s something to look forward to!!

• Posted

Thanks for ur comment Susan. I’ve to go to the Dr tomorrow. I just hope that the cast'll  come off. It had been 30 days with this cast. 

• Posted

Perhaps they'll put you in a boot and start you weight bearing. Good d luck with it.
    • Posted

Hi Susan!

The cast was removed on Wednesday. I’m so happy, I was fed up with it. They took me a radiography today. I just gotta wait the results to begin with the rehab. I am still using crutches. I can’t put weight on my foot. The doctor told me that I'll have to learn to walk again and tolerate some pain and swelling on my foot.

I hope you're doing good too!

• Posted

Lucky you, my cast is driving me nuts, I go back after the Easter weekend break, fingers crossed both fractures will have healed enough to progress to a boot.

I could live with the cast it's the crutches and no weight bearing that I find hard.

• Posted

Hi eveybody!

Any advice is still welcome for my rehab protocol!

Have a nice day"

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.