Finding it very hard to cope

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had very heavy periods for years, always doubled up my pads. In the last 3 years my periods became much worse. I was prescribed mefamenac acid which helped a bit, still had to triple up my pads but could change them every 2 hours instead of every 30 minutes. Also took Floradix for my anemia.

July 2014, my father passed away, I went home during his last few weeks to help my mother nurse him and noticed my periods became a lot worse. They didn't settle down and I started flooding in between my periods, having night sweats and erratic mood swings. I was 43 and thought I was having early menopause so went to my GP. I was sent for a scan and diagnosed with submucosal fibroids.

I am exploring my treatment options but finding it hard to stay positive while constantly battling fatigue, cramps, abdominal tenderness, night sweats, mood swings etc. I am finding it hard to concentrate on my job and take care of my child properly.

Guess I just want to hear of other people's coping strategies and know I am not alone.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had the very same . The flooding is awful and keeps me off work .

No treatment i have tried has worked except for norethisterone but when you come off it you cannot leave the house for the bleeding so don't go there

Ibuprofen sometimes slows it down .

In the end i have decided to opt for a full hystero. I want my life back .

I do know how you feel and hope that you will find your own solution x

• Posted

Thanks for your message. I hate taking pills but I am keeping Boots in business with all my various prescriptions and over the counter medications.

I have been trying to stay away from hormones and things like that but at this point I am ready to try anything.

Good luck with your op, do you know when it'll be?

Here's to all of us getting our lives back soon.

• Posted

Your GP and gynaecologist should be giving you plenty of options and advice.  I would also suggest reading up on this condition and talking to your nearest and dearest (jumping on here is a good start, though!  :-) ).  Letting people know what is happening to you is very important - they are very understanding once you explain things and this will provide comfort to you, I'm sure. 

When in pain, I use a combination of paracetamol (or co-dydramol or co-codamol) with ibuprofen to manage it (it doesn't really do all that much to be honest), a hot water bottle on my abdomen or back and then plenty of rest (I usually cannot walk when the pain strikes, anyway). 

For the fibroids themselves, I have used hormones to shrink the fibroids (pre-surgery), been on the pill and used the injections to stop my periods - which it did but you can only use that for a short length of time, as well as a host of other drugs to try to ease/stop my heavy bleeding.  Nothing worked.  Actualy I believe most of the drugs made the bleeding worse - I felt as though everything was "gushing" out of me! I had an open myomectomy to remove my fibroids in 2007, went through the whole drug and hormone cycle for a second time and now I am three weeks post-op uterine artery embolisation.  I know I won't really see results for at least three months but my recovery is SO slow and I am very sad/frustrated which is why I decided to jump on a forum to connect with others who have been/going through similar issues.

Anyway, I just wanted to highlight to you that there are myriad things that you can do.  Hopefully you won't have to go through as many treatments as I have been through (perhaps exacerbated by the fact I also have endometriosis) and you can get things sorted fairly quickly. 

Do not be afraid to ask questions of your medical team, do not get bullied into anything that makes you uncomfortable and make sure you take time off when you need it.  Unfortunately, I take a lot of time off work but my colleagues and managers are aware of the situation (although I don't think anyone takes this condition as seriously as it should be taken - unless they have it!).

I hope you are coping a little better and good luck with finding a solution. 

You are not alone.

Best Wishes!

• Posted

Thanks for all the helpful tips, ibuprofen and I are very good friends but I do need to invest in a hot water bottle.

The doctors have given me options but I don't feel 'comfortable' with any of them, even though I know that may never happen.

I have a very active 10 year old and I can't be recovering from any procedure for long periods of time, even though I am finding it hard to keep up with him now.

My immediate family is very supportive and will be there for me no matter what I decide but at times it doesn't really help. I find it hard having to depend on people for help, I am too independent-or I used to be.

I am thinking about UAE or TCRF but lots of people seem to be suffering with it for longer than expected periods so I'll have to see. My next appt is in 3 weeks and I am making a list of questions to ask. Doctor wants me to have a hysterectomy but I just started a new position at work and worried about being away too long etc.

Thanks so much for your advice and I hope your recent procedure went well. How are you feeling now?

• Posted

Definitely do get a hot water bottle. I think it helps to relax the muscles and I, personally, find the heat very comforting.

Gosh, I cannot imagine having to look after a young child whilst going through this pain! How do you do it?!?! :-) Independence is great (I dislike asking for help, despise being looked after and usually hide out on my own when i don'the feel well) but I would totally move in with parents or one of my siblings and make them look after him and me! lol.

Also, can I try to help with any concerns? What suggestions have they made that make you uncomfortable? TCRF sounds really scary - you are very brave. I have not had this done. Do you know anyone who has?

BW

• Posted

I messaged someone on this site who had TCRF but it didn't go as expected and she is now on waiting list for a hysterectomy.

Last time I spoke to the doctor, he was pushing a hysterectomy. One of my ovaries are also enlarged so he suggested taking everything out. I know that most women feel a lot better after they recover but I don't think it's appropriate in my situation and will only consider it if all other options are not viable.

My mother lives in Canada but will come and help me when the time comes.

Doctors are worried about the 7cm intracavity fibroid I have, that UAE might not work effectively on that one.

Have you fully recovered from the procedure and do you feel a difference?

• Posted

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this....

Hmmmm, my recovery goes slowly. I am more mobile and taking fewer painkillers a day but I am still very swollen and can't be without my hot water bottle. I don't feel great but I do feel as though I am definitely 'getting there'. Thank you so much for asking.

Good for you sticking to your guns about hysterectomy! It absolutely should be the last resort - I have read too many stories of women being rushed into that option or even being given no other choices! It is very ignorant/lazy on the part of the medical staff. There are many routes to take before the h-word should be mentioned.

UAE probably won't work on the intracavity fibroid; do give TCRF a go - even though it didn't work for the lady you spoke to, it might work you (every woman is different). Thank goodness your mother is able to come over - she will be a great help and comfort, I'm sure.

I really hope it all goes well for you. Let us know.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Genie,

Well I christened my new water bottle yesterday and started using black cohosh, which seems to be helping with night sweats. I have been pretty positive the past week and a half and I hope it stays. We'll see what the next few weeks hold.

Hope the rest of the week goes smoothly for you. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.