Finishing first week and so many side effects

Posted , 8 users are following.

Good morning. I stated on generic lexapro last Friday - 5 mg for anxiety. I have so many side effects I don't know what to do! i have nausea, dizziness, lack of appetite, indigestion and most concerning - shoulder and chest pain. Is this normal? Does it get better? Has anyone else had the shoulder and chest pain? I called my doctor and he said he hadn't heard of that as a side effect?!? Help please!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

From my experience my doctor doesn't have much knowledge of SSRI's at all. I have learnt most of what I know now through reading various forums and from my own experience. I've been on both prozac and now lexapro and yes these side effects are completely normal. Most people who have experience taking these meds will tell you to give yourself at least 8 weeks for your body to adjust and the side effects will then go. For some people it's quicker, I noticed a slow improvement by week 6 and they'd pretty much gone by week 8, but for some people it can take along as 12 weeks. But, if they don't go it prob means you need to try a different med. But yes completely normal! Please just be patient and read the forums, I found it gave me hope and encouragement to get through those initial weeks. It can be very tough. I found vitamins, b vitamins, magnesium and omega 3 helped. As did walking, yoga and meditation. I also took magnesium flake baths as it lessened the physical side effects. I used to drink a protein shake in a morning as I just couldn't eat and lost so much weight it was scary, the protein shake seemed to settle my stomach. I also drank lots of smoothies also when I couldn't eat. I also cut out caffeine, as this made any side effects even worse. Oh and drink heaps of water!

To anyone reading this or if you may need to increase dose in the future, I have also found the same thing happens when upping a dose of laxapro too. It's horrible but it does all pass! Hang in there xx

• Posted

Thanks for replying to Elizabeth because i am going through the same with only a week into lexapro and waking up mainly with side effects.Your post has been helpful to me too.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,All these symptons are normal when starting a antidepressent. Lexapro 5mg is a nice dose to start with. In time these symptons will lessen and go away. You have to give it 4-6 weeks to feel a difference but worth it. Continue working with you doctor and I found therapy, meditation,yoga and exercise helps alot. Best of luck to you and God Bless.

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

how do you feel today? I am just wondering as I started a week ago with 5mg as well.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

How are you feeling now? i just started 5 mg of lexapro ladt Mon night and no side effects until now . Sat in Australia. i w oke up from a nap and felt worse. Sweaty shaking and just not well. Now have to cook dinner, luckily just me ,husband son and my brother coming over but starting back up meds after six years off is not much fun and its only six days in? How is everyone else going?

• Posted

Elizabeth , i started 5mg of lexapro last Monday so not quite a week yet,and experiencing the exact same symptoms as you. its at its worst when i wake up. just having a cup of tea in bed as its Sunday morning in Australia and then i will get up and face the day. I start week two tomorrow so let me know how you go we can support each other through the next few weeks.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

Just finished my first week of 5mg of lexapro and feel terrible. Woke up at 1.30 am with rapid pulse and tingling ,burning sensation in arms. Took a quarter of a xanax to help calm me and fell off back to sleep eventually then woke up at 6 feeling just as bad! PLEASE reply to me as i am so much in need of support.

• Posted

Hello Felis, how are you doing after some time?

• Posted

Hi how is everyone feeling? i was on 5mg for about 3 weeks and and I increased dose to 10mg nearly 2 weeks ago and I feel awful, my anxiety keeps rushing through my body I suffered my first migraine with aura at the weekend and i thought i was having a stroke and had to go to the GP im worrying about everything. I suffer with general anxiety, social anxiety, panic disorder and health anxiety, I was prescribed propranolol 40mg its a beta blocker and its meant to take all the physical feelings away but im to scared to take it. I may go back down to 5mg today any help is greatly appreciated.

• Edited

Hi,

I was taking Escitalopram for about a year and when I reduced my dose from 10 mg to 5 mg, I picked up many side effect including neck & back pain and chest pain. others were heavy head, dry mouth and double vision. my doctor told me that it is too low dose to create any trouble. but I know what I have went through. I am currently off of meds for a week and already feel horrible.

hope this helps.

• Posted

Just wondering if and how long these symptoms disappeared? On day 2 of 5mg Lexapro and its brutal. Same side effects as you. I'm glad I read your post as the chest and neck pain was worrying me alot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.