First day on champix

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, just wanting some advice, decided to finally kick this bad habit of mine, not just for myself but for my family and bank balance. Just wondering how long does it take to not want to smoke? I am a heavy smoker unfortunately like 20 a day, will the champix help with mental sode of things along with the cravings?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karla

firstly congratulations on your decision to say goodbye to fags. I stopped with Champix over 3 years ago having smoked for 30 years. It was unbelieveably easy. Its the best thing Ive ever done. Its not without its issues but have faith, it will work. Just take the tablets as prescribed and dont overthink it. Set your stop date...maybe day 14? But change the day if youre having a big night out with other smokers, dont be too hard on yourself. Everyone reacts differently to them, but go with the flow and see how you get on. Im not going to address problems now as you may not encounter any. If you do, Im here every day to help. You probably wont feel any changes for the first week, and just keep smoking as normal. Drop me a line in about a week, but if you have any questions or problems, email any time. I genuinely want to help you get there. Soon you are going to be a non smoker! X

• Posted

Good for you! I was a heavy smoker as well. Tried and failed a few times but now about 2.5 months off them.

Some people have success with Chantix but for me I used the patch for about two weeks then the occasional gum and finally nothing.

It sure isn't easy. 

There are a couple of great FB groups that provide some peer support and very useful info on physical effects.

Good luck!!

• Posted

Two weeks must pass, so that a little organism is accustomed to living without nicotine.
  • Posted

Good for you! I too made the decision to quit using Champix, I stopped on day 12 in the evening I realised I was then only smoking out of habit not because I was craving one, I’m now on day 4 smoke free and feeling great, and wishing I had tried them before. I will not lie I have felt tempted a couple of times but Champix has definitely made stopping easier than when I have tried before.

Here if you have anymore questions 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.