Flapping over colonscopy report

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have crohns disease and I'm awaitng bowel resection because of a stricture, the surgeon first wanted me to have a colonoscopy so he knew what to expect before he did the op, I had a colonoscopy last week under GA, (the previous 2 i had with the normal sedation were horrific) The report you get after it says they took a total of 26 biospsies, there was patchy congestion, which i suppose is expected, but the bit thats got me worried is the comments at the bottom. its says they found a large submucosal lesion in the caecum, and while taking biopsies a fatty tissue appeared, it then goes on to say, near the mass base was a small flat ulcer with oedematic surrounded tissue..

I know I wont really know anything definite until biopsies come back, but I just wondered if anyone had anything similar and what their outcome was, I have spoken to surgeons secretary and she said he should have the results early this week, but hes away until near the end of the week. sad

thanks x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I haven’t but any submucosal lesion can be nothing or something and tbh whatever experience anyone has had it will all be in the biopsies you will hear reported on soon. Statistically most of these things are benign in their early stages anyway and it is good they found it. Also it may be connected to your IBD. I gather these things are less easily picked up on other types of examination so it was good your consultant wanted to look inside. Very good luck with the procedure. I had two friends who had Crohn’s and the one who was able to have a surgical resection fared much better with relief from the wretched thing afterwards.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I know its just going to be a case of waiting for biopsy results, and i know everyone is different etc but its just going over and over in my head.. its the waiting isnt it.. Glad to hear your friend who had the resection did ok, i really hoping it'll go well and i'll get a few decent years.. fingers crossed smile

Thanks for your good wishes, means a lot smile

• Posted

It is the waiting...! And I do know the feeling. Though the worst thing I ever got was just out of the blue on a routine blood test and so often the thing we are really dreading turns out not be so bad as we fear. But everyone is the same, you just can’t get the thoughts out of your mind. Whoever said the only thing to fear is fear itself had a point. Good luck with it all. My friend had his Crohn’s very early (31) and was in very different minds as to whether to go for the surgery or not but oddly, after not seeing him for ages, I saw him last November and he says he is very glad he did it and he looked very well. He is now nearly 60.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.