Flashes persist 2 months after laser for retinal tear

Posted , 2 users are following.

As the title states, I got laser for two retinal tears (one in each eye). I was referred to the ophthalmologist due to seeing flashes for about a month with no other symptoms and they found two tears. The only symptom I had was the flashes and it seemingly started out of no where (however i am quite myopic). These last two months since the procedure I've developed, or at least started to notice, a bunch of new floaters and light sensitive as well as lasting after images. On top of that the flashes have been persistent, it would die down one week and then the next week I could get them everyday and then die down again. It has made me extremely anxious and I've gone to optometrist numerous times for dilation exams because the fear of new tears coming on suddenly like previously where the flashes were the only symptom. I have heard nothing about any PVD, I am only 19. I know flashes can occur for no reason but they are always in the same spot which is the opposite side to where the laser was done (i assume maybe it was the tear still ripping from within the barricade), I'm in constant fear of new flashes, the new floaters are also extremely hard to ignore along side numerous other symptoms similar to that of visual snow. The visual snow symptoms could be a result of my anxiety but even on my best days its still so terrible I don't even want to wake up and get out of bed.

I also had a shadowy area (somewhat of a blind spot) that has faded into a shimmery line with a smaller shrunken shadowy blind spot to visible on sunny days, but I've seen people on this cite talk about this exact side effect and it seems it will never go away which makes the anxiety and depression worse. I got sidetracked but the thought that this will be my vision for life is terrifying.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

exactly same problem for me. I had underwent laser surgery in both of eyes for several holes. Almost one month now, still experiencing flashing in right eye and also light flickering in both eyes of top pheriperal vision. And at the bottom corner of my left eye, Im experiencing shimmering like vision (transparent patch) How long will continue? or will it go away? I'm stressed about it. please reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.