flat feet question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I have flat feet and went to see a podiatrist because I get achy feet around the arch area and ankles feel weak, and calves sometimes ache. My podiatrist recommended I get some custom orthotics which cost $500.

I went home to put the inner soles in my shoes and at the heel of my shoe sits high. So, when I put my foot in and walk, my heel/ankle slides out!

Who has had this problem with orthotics?

What are my options with my podiastrist in regards to returning them?

This cost $600, and I already cut around the front of the inner soles to match the sole of the shoe.

Quite annoyed now, since I don't have my custom orthotics to use. So what can I use in the mean time?

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Orthodics should not cost more than $250. If the back slides out, try taking out the innersole that came with the shoe before putting in the orthodics.  For the ankle pain, buy Aircasts from Amazon.  They are braces on each side of each foot that strenghten the ankle to reduce the pain.  They do not cost that much.  Do not ever consider a bone fusing option.
  • Posted

Have you taken the original insoles out it helps with a more room. I know what you mean though.
    • Posted

Yes I have. It's quite annoying that its come to this. Do you feel the aches in the arches or weakness in the fibula area when you walk on concrete or tile? I do. But if I walk on floor boards, it's not so bad. Is this a common thing with people with flat feet?

• Posted

Yes, when I go to a store like Ralphs or Old Navy that have concrete floors I definitely feel it on my soles and toes.
  • Posted

I know yor problem happened to me but the NHS here provided them. Could only use them with certain shoes. I've had right foot nidfusion so I don't wear them noW. Have you tried removing the current insole and then put in the orthotic I found it helped

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.