Flax seed tea (boiled flax) during pregnancy - safety question

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, there's a mixed bag of whether or not flax seeds are safe (and the general consensus seems to be yes, but in small amounts).

What I love consuming however is around 5-6 tablespoons of flax seeds boiled in 500ml of water, and I let them sit for 6-24 hours before drinking. The mixture becomes gelatinous and it's absolutely delicious. I understand I can't consume the seeds themselves, and I'll have to dispose of them before consuming this- but is this at all safe while pregnant (at 10 weeks currently)?

From what makes sense, the nutrients from the flax seeds would enter the water hence why it changes consistency. Does this mean it's off the table during the pregnancy?

Thank you!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

5-6 tablespoons boiled and strained might be okay, but check with your doctor first! They can guide you on safe amounts based on your specific health and pregnancy. Consider other omega-3 sources like fish or chia too! Always prioritize professional advice for your health and enjoy your pregnancy!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.