Fluctuating Blood pressure from too low to too high!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed in April as emergency and for the first time to my knowledge I had really high blood pressure and I was in a hospital bed but then I came home and it seemed it was back to normal so I figured it was just the stress of being in the hospital etc.

Then I started testing my bp to keep and eye on it and I was very low bp. I went to the doctor and he said there was nothing to do for low bp. (I am a diabetic btw) I happened to be having dizzy spells and was blaming it on that so I checked once and it was 160/ 56 I am worried about the wide range like 88/43 jumping up to higher number and the doctor has no explanation. I got my Covid vaccine in May then in July the second dose. Does bp fluctuate this widely does anyone with lived experience of this have any advice for me I am worried more about this than I do when my blood sugar is low or high because there is an action to take for that. I am not overweight and no matter how much I eat I don't gain...Advice appreciated I live alone and am finding living with this difficult. Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

That's interesting. I've never had a problem with high blood pressure apart from my first pregnancy and that was 47 years ago! I had my vaccines (AstraZeneca) in February and April with no apparent side effects. In August I had a pre-op assessment and my blood pressure was raised 140+/80+. The op went ahead and no-one mentioned any more about my blood pressure and I put it down to white coat syndrome.

I had my booster of Pfizer at the end of October and had a splitting headache, chills and nausea for 36 hours that I assumed was just a reaction to the vaccine. 6 days ago I had my blood pressure taken and it was 164/89. It was taken again 3 days ago and was 162/89. I was lent a monitor to use at home for 7 days and told to take 2 readings 5 minutes apart in the morning and evening. I can't believe how the readings can vary within 5 minutes. For example this morning I took the first one just after I woke up and it was 155/90. 5 minutes later it was 133/79. When I checked symtoms for high blood pressure on the NHS site, 2 of them were headache and nausea so I've been wondering if it's something to do with the vaccine as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.