Flying Longhaul?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Wondering if anybody has had any experience of flying long haul ( over 7 hrs) and a PsA sufferer. Last year my holiday to Thailand was tainted by swollen painful joints. Leading up to the holiday my knee ( post traumatic arthritis) was slightly swollen but doubled its size whilst away!

This year we went to Sri Lanka and again once I got to my resort, my wrist, knees ankles and shoulders were all swollen and sore. The swelling just about subsided by the time we left to fly home. 

However, during the flight my knee and joints were and are still swollen and sore! 

Could it it be the pressurised cabin? Being sat in the same position for hours on end? 

Thanks for your thoughts

Ian 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ian

I am having the same problem when I have been walking around my ankles swell and the elastic in the sock embeds down to the bone and it takes about two hours for the joint to restore

To prevent this you can purchase socks without elastic and that does not squeeze the swollen flesh to the leg.

You can also get supports etc for the knee , also wrists etc.

Lloyds the chemist and Boots have a range of disability aids you may find useful. 

I used to travel and I used to suffer same, generally the swelling is caused by fluid around the joints, the problem is however water tablets given in winter are not given through the summer season in case you dehydrate. so you need to look on the web, you will also find aids that will help

I do not know if you have had the VAT explained to you, if you need aids, you can claim back the VAT either from the company or directly yourself

If your skin is bad, flying drys out the skin etc, it is important you keep the Psoriasis moist with your creams. Try Epaderm or E45 Cream. when bathing use Aquatious Cream to keep the skin moist

BOB

• Posted

I travel with compression socks for long flights and get up and walk every hour to keep blood flow in limbs. Important to check with your doctor for full evaluation since he has your medical records some meds can also help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.