Food cooked in cast iron pans

Posted , 3 users are following.

As some of us are aware when you googled a medical condition not to always believe what you read

So this is why I'm asking if this is correct or false information

I've read that you have to avoid eating any food prepared & cooked in cast iron pans as apparently the food absorbs the iron from them

It seems a bit far fetched but obv I need to be aware if it is fact

Please does anyone know if this is correct

Thank you

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hiya...yeah, I'm afraid this is true. Iron is absorbed from food cooked in cast iron pans. You'll find that this is the advice from most organizations that deal with Haemochromatosis. So, best avoided where possible.

Cheers.

Mike

• Posted

Wow , thank you mike

I really didn't know if it was correct or not

I suppose we have to very careful when dining out too just incase any restaurants use cast iron pans

All this is still new to me & still learning about my recent diagnosis

Thank you

• Posted

Hi

Echo what mike says ,reading different articles one journal of food

Science by Cheng and brittin ran tests and claimed iron is transferred

To food cooked in cast iron cookware.

We have to believe what so called experts tell is correct,

But your decision as to what you do with the information????

Cheers philx

• Posted

Thank you Phil

It's still a lot for me to take in at the moment

But guess anyone new to the illness will have their own questions to ask for help for information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.