Fosamax - osteoporosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

**I have been on Alendronate for 5 months, 70mg once a month. Now my hair is rapidly falling out. I've lost approximately 40% of my hair . How long will it take for the drug to be out of my system? When will the hair stop falling out? This is very frustrating. I was reluctant to begin taking it in the first place, but gave in to the doctor's scare tactics. **

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you stop taking it I suppose the side effects will subside quickly, that I do not know anything about. Presumably once you are no longer taking it there will be nothing working directly on whatever it is which controls hair growth, etc.However it will never leave your system. What your bones have absorbed will remain there forever.I googled "how long does it take for alendronate side effects to end when drug is stopped" and an article on a page called medicalnewstoday came up at the top of the list. Hair loss was not a listed side effect from the initial trials, but they do mention it further down the page as it's an effect seen since people actually started using it. Not particularly helpful as they assume the reader of the article plans to keep on taking medication and suggest other medication to counteract the side effect, or changing the bone med, neither of which would I personally recommend!

Google HealthUnlocked My Osteoporosis Journey for my story.

Sorry I cannot post links on this site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.