Fosfomycin for UTI----anyone take it?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I developed symptoms of a UTI which I decided to treat with antibiotics I had around the house (Amoxicillin). I took that for 4 days and symptoms went away but 2 days later the symptoms returned with a vengence- I then took some Augmention, but before I took the Augmentin I went to Urgent Care and gave a urine specimen. Much to my surprise I have a very aggressive organism, which usually occurs in hospitalized patients, which I was not. The organism

is enterobacter cloacae. So now my urologist has prescribed this weird antibiotic, Fosfomycin. It is a powder you add water and drink it. It works directly in the bladder on the infection.

Although my doctor says it is really a safe drug I look at some of the potential side effects

and it concerns me. Has anybody taken this medication and if so did you experience any side effects?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.