Frozen shoulder after Humerus Head fracture recovery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a fracture in humerus head of right arm. I was advised to put the arm in sling for 4 week. After 4 weeks, xray shows that fracture is recovered but my arm movement is almost 0. after exercise for 2 months i am now able to move my arm to up to 100 degrees. but i cannot move my arm to upto 180 degree in both front way and side ways. with efforts to push the arm up, it causes extreme pain. 

Please suggest some procedure so that i can feel less pain. Is there any anesthetic cream or spray which i can apply before doing exercise?

what else i can do to restore my movement 100%

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, it sounds like a 'frozen shoulder' so very common after having your arm in a sling. If possible request physio because the next step would be an MUA (Manipulation under Anesthestic) to release the crystals accumulated within the joint. Definitely try the physio first. Specific exercises for that condition.
  • Posted

I can understand your frustration. I too fractured humerous and tore rotator. I had repair surgery but now 5 months later I still can't raise my arm. I had an mri Which shows adhesive capsulitis and another partial tear. I am having mua on may 18th along with scope and possible revision. I would suggest physical therapy for you first. If you have no improvement then having an mri to see what's going on might be a good idea. I'm not looking forward to mua but I need my arm back! I find that biofreeze works great when having pt.
  • Posted

I had frozen should and I couldn't touch my forehead with my left hand. The physical therapist told me it would take 18-24 months of PT.  After 3 PT, I decided to do my own exercises.  In 3 months, I had 90% of my motion back.  One of my best exercises was lying down with my left arm out, 90 degrees or so, roll your body towards your hand.  This causes some popping in the shoulder and relieves the pain. This is also breaking adhesion points giving better arm movement range.  It hurts at first but does relieve the pain.  I still do this every day to prevent loss of range.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.