Frozen shoulder after steroid injection

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been reading a lot of the posts about frozen shoulder but wonder if any aware if you can get this from a steroid injection. I injured my shoulder in July lifting a heavy bag behind me in the car. I was sent for an ultrasound that showed 2 partial tendon tears. I first saw an osteopath then was seeing a physio and deep tissue sports massage person. It was quite painful to sleep and if knocked or pulled I had range of motion limitations but they didn't think I had frozen shoulder. it wasn't improving after several weeks (early November) so I was sent to another doctor who ordered a guided steroid injection into my bursa. It got much worse after this, been 3 weeks, and range of motion worse and pain for 2 weeks was much worse. I now really struggle to sit and type and have had to reduce working hours to try to keep heat and movement to stop cramping. Physio and sports massage person say I now have frozen shoulder and they injected the wrong place ( they should have injected that joint as my scan showed no issues with the bursa) and one wonders if the injection could have triggered the frozen shoulder. Is this possible?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna

welcome to our little corner of ache and misery.

as you probably read i have posted lots and been through hell.

first off you are not alone. and something so simple as a shoulder can be so debilitating. people jut do not realise just how much we ache and hurt. its lonely and hard.

like you i have read indepth about shoulders and frozen shoulders and everything in between.

on what you said about injections and FS. there was a report when the covid jabs were done. badly placed injections set off type 1 frozen shoulder ( type 2 being injury ). as they missed the deltoid and hit the capsule. causing FS.

why did they inject the bursa !. did you have bursitis. or thought you had that. being nosy what tendons did you tear. and how deep was the tear.

the shoulder is so complicated. very complicated. the shoulder has to forfeit stability against movement making it a weak joint. only the four tendons holding it all together ( s.i.t.s)

perhaps the injury started the FS off after a time. the only way to physically confirm frozen shoulder is with an MRI and by Measure The thickness of the capsule. mine still show on an MRI 5 years later.

a really well placed hydrodialatation does help and can bring relief. like you i have had 250 sport massages just to keep what little range if motion going. and yes i squealed like a piglet in pain.

now thank god 5 years 2 days 4 operations. 4 hydrodilatations. 6 steroid jabs. 11 months off work post op and £45k. and a change of career. i have nearly won.

as a carpenter i kept re injuring the joint. .

most important care for the other shoulder. look after it. give it some love or that will freeze as well.

also talk to your partner, kids. people at work please do not let it get to you. share your ache. we will be here as a " shoulder " to vent. and believe me we all have.

stay strong stay focused as its a long journey you may be starting. ask for help please.

piper . looby. Barbara are on here and will chip in ( hi ladies )

stay strong 

colin

• Posted

ho sorry

s.i.t.s

Supraspinatus and infraspinatus Terras minor subscapularis

the 4 tendons

colin

• Posted

Hi Anna, my consultant thinks i got my FS from the covid vaccine being injected into the wrong area, of course I would never be able to prove it but the ache and pain started shortly afterwards. I really feel for you cos the pain especially at night time in the early days is just horrific and sleep deprivation is torture.

I have no words of comfort I'm afraid but this is a great place to vent cos it's very hard to explain FS to someone that hasn't been through it and you will come out the other side but unfortunately it takes a long time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.