Frozen shoulder ouch !!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone....has anyone had frozen shoulder....how did you cope with it ? i was told I have it 2 weeks ago I had pain in my left shoulder and arm for a few month...had a cortisone injection last Monday and after a couple of days the pain was more manageable and I had more movement...then the other day pain started in my other arm and shoulder I was told it can take up to 2 years for it to go arghhh... before I had this I had back and hip pain every day for 20 years now that has subsided and I have this which I feel is much worse with the zingers you get zapped with omg 

shirl

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shirl; I have never had a frozen shoulder (but have had issues with tendons etc from shoulder down arm, which took me a couple of years to completely heal), and yes it can be very sore, and limiting....the problem with both of us is, that "because we didn't get treatment early enough"....when the pain first started....we then end up with things being worse.....when you said you had some pain a "couple of months ago"...that is what they call the "freezing stage"....when the Capsule that holds the lubricant/oil  becomes sooo inflamed, it becomes frozen....little range of movement/no range of movement....then when the treatment starts to work, it's known as the Thawing stage.....to achieve the Thawing stage, you need a Good physio who understands, and knows how to Properly treat this problem....that means "no Aggressive physio"....just limited exercises, strapping/immobilization etc  until you get to the Thawing stage....once at the Thawing stage, then the physio will show you The Proper and necessary exercises needed. 

As to why/who gets frozen shoulders....there are some people with Pre-existing conditions (such as Arthrites, for some reason Diabetics too....connective tissue conditions, and auto-immune conditions)....as you said, you have previously had sore hips....were they due to Arthrites?

The Cortisone injection is a good start....heat packs....some say/use Needle therapy.....if you research this on web, you will probably find a course of treatment that you feel happy with............I wish you ALL the best, as Yes, it is painful, and debilitating while frozen...........Bron

• Posted

Thanks for that info Bron...gp did say if it didn't improve I should see the rheumy so I think that's my next step to see about physio I have a BF who recently had it for 18 months so she knows what I'm going through she said physio helped her ...worst part is when the pain zinger hits unexpectedly like For instance I pulled the door towards me and then caught a falling pan lid with my bad arm OMG it took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes...if you have seen family guy there is a sketch where Louis falls over and she goes owh owh owh it is soooo funny it reminds me when it happens to me..so it's a bit like when you hit your funny bone in your elbow it hurts like hell and a little bit funny.

take care gentle hugs

Shirl

• Posted

Hi shirl

I had a frozen shoulder as a result of a trapped nerve a few years ago.  In the end unfortunately it was just a waiting game and in time it did recover.  I had a few physio sessions with a qualified sports masseur and he used a TENS machine which really helped.  He also recommended alternate hot and cold packs but warned me not to keep the cold pack on the area for more than just a couple of minutes as it can cause tissue damage.  I hope you find some relief soon, I remember how horrible it was. xx

• Posted

Thanks Loxie I tried a mini tens for lower back ache years ago and found it wasn't for me...especially when one day I wasn't in too much pain so I thought I would try it my partner didn't know I had it on low when he came home and when he hugged me the pressure went from low to very high it was like having a load of needles all at once...wasn't funny at the time but it is now thinking of me jumping around trying to pull it off... my partner said it was an accident I believe him thousands wouldn't he enjoys telling that story lol..

Shirl. 

• Posted

Ouch! gotta be the worst pain I ever pain etc..and with Fibro SS and OA .thats saying something, 8 yrs ago now, had it in both shoulders one after the other..9 months to heal each one....worst pain in the night in bed..when it was just lying there? Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy..just could not put my arms in a place where there was no pain..thank God it was over..,soo restricting too, just couldn't lift my arm up at all...do hope you can manage some relief Shirl ..very gentle hugs..be blessed..:-) xxxx
    • Posted

Thanks Christine since having the injection I have been able to find a more comfy position in bed mainly on my back...bad point I sometimes snore...good point I get my own back on my other half who snores a lot lol my body clock is all over the place at the moment Its very rare for me to be in bed when my other half wakes up in the morning...at the weekend my other half rolled over to my side and accidentally knocked my good shoulder I shouted out and he shouted out at the same time he jumped up in the bed so much he nearly fell out and said "where did you come from you weren't there" as if I had appeared as a ghost it was just so funny I burst out laughing and forgot my shoulder hurt..

take care gentle hugs

Shirl

• Posted

O' Shirl, that is sooo funny..what would we do without our hubby's....glad the cortisone shot is working for you...I couldn't have that...either time...does it hurt/ache right down to you hands? .what horrors we have to out up with...have a lovely day...be blessed..:-) xx
    • Posted

The injection hurt but definitely worth it as I have more movement and less pain in my shoulder and arm...I did have pain and heat in my arm and hand last week for one day...it feels less painful and easier when I get dressed and undressed...I take paracetamol and rub voltarol gel on 4 times a day and it's become manageable :-)

take care gentle hugs

Shirl

• Posted

Frozen shoulder, also known as adhesive capsulitis, is a condition characterised by stiffness and pain in your shoulder joint. It may happen after an injury or overuse or from a disease such as diabetes or a stroke. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) and application of heat to the affected area, followed by gently stretching can give some relief and physical therapy can help increase your range of motion. Ice and medicines (including corticosteroid injections) may also be used to reduce pain and swelling. Your GP may refer you to physiotherapist. Physiotherapy treatment for frozen shoulder depends on what stage you are in, and is tailored to your specific needs. If your symptoms are not relieved by therapy and anti-inflammatory medicines, you and your doctor may discuss surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Bethany and Shirl; if you are going to use "cold packs", only do so for a Very short time, (cold packs can actually cause a Burn, if left on too long)   as it is only used to "numb the pain"....heat is better, as we are wanting to Increase the circulation....yes it does depend on "what stage" the condition is at.....but you are doing the Right treatment, as recommended by your GP....the Cortisone injections are the primary course of treatment, followed by physio....if doesn't settle (which it should with this tretment), only then will surgery be an option, as  All surgery has it's risks (even as far as the anaesthetic is concerned.......drs don't like to Jump in and operate, and that is being responsible.....surgeons who jump straight in and operate without first using Less invasive treatments, are only wanting your money.....that's what we all have been told many times....take care and you will get there, Shirl..........I like your "sense of humour....and hubby's"............good luck.............winkBron
    • Posted

Hi Bron I am 4 months in now someone mentioned I would be in the thawing stage now my range of movement is improving in my left arm...I had bad pain in right shoulder the other day...today is better...I'm finding benefit from voltarol gel I rub it in first thing in the morning and do shoulder rolls and arm stretches in a warm shower which eases it enough to get dressed without too much discomfort... I apply the gel 4 times a day and take paracetamol...I can get my left arm half way...I feel I'm doing okay slowly but surely do you think I would benefit from having physio therapy only I have a few friends with FS say they didn't feel it helped them and it was very painful...

take care

shirl

• Posted

Hi Bethany I had a cortisone injection 2 weeks ago...I am feeling the benefits from it now I have more range of movement and I can dress and undress without too much pain and tears :-)

thanks for info take care

Shirl

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.