Frustrate do!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, for the past 12+ months, I have had a really bad chest. So bad, that, since January, I have had 6 chest infections. The only time I actually felt 100%, was when my GP gave me 2 lots of Anti Bs, and Steroids. Then, 4 weeks later, I'm back to how I was! I have been to my GP and asked to be checked for Asthma, that was clear, but they didn't test me in my inhalation of air. I wheeze constantly and have a very bad hacking 'wet' cough. When I start coughing, my chest hurts. I sound like a very heavy smoker. (I'm a non smoker) at night, my breathing 'whistles' and in the morning, I have green phlegm on the roof of my mouth from front to back. I am considering going to see a different GP, who is retired, but has a Surgery twice a week. I feel that as he is 'old school' something might get done. Has anyone else had anything similair?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Do you or have you ever smoked in your life?

Which Antbx did the Doc put you on? are they resistent you may need a stronger one! ..Have you done a Sputum sample if you are still getting excessive mucous? Is ther pain in your chest when breathing? some of these things may help with a diagnosis... I would advise asking for a diagnosis... could be Bronchitis Pluerisy (wet). Are your lips or Finger nails Blue (cyanosis) sign of something perhaps more serious.. Pneumonia is dangerous for over 60's you may requre a Flu Jam for both conditions, ask your Doctor.

• Posted

I gave up smoking 30 years ago, I'm 51, when I did smoke, it was only about 4 a day for 3 years.  GP put me on Clarythromycin, but I reacted to it, so he gave me Amoxycillin. No sputum sample asked for. When I have a coughing fit, my chest hurts for about 5 inhalations after. Nails and lips are fine. 
  • Posted

A second opinion by another GP may not be a bad idea. List all the problems you are having for him.
  • Posted

Have to say I agree with the other comments either go back to your GP or get a second opinion ,.

i have to say last year I was much the same as you ,after a fall in January where I smashed my hand and had to have it pinned ,I had repeated chest infections and a number of cocktails of antibiotics etc, I had trouble coughing up  the mucus and finaly was given a devise called a flutter devise ,which makes it easier ,then 2 weeks of Doxycycline and a course of steroids ,that seemed to do the trick ,,,,but it was ALL YEAR LONG that I was I'll on and off ,,,,the green phlegm is a sign of a chest infection ,take a sample to the GP and he will send it away to find out which infection you have got and which antibiotic will clear it ,best wishes .

• Posted

I have trouble coughing up the mucus, what is a flutter device? 

xx

• Posted

Have a look on amazon ,to buy their about £50 I got mine from GP ,or go on you tube for breathing exersises to clear your chest ,,trust me they work ,but go back to your GP tell him you've done a simple for testing ,,,,,or make an appointment with the copd nurse ,
    • Posted

Barba you really should be diagnosed before purchasing a flutter device and shown how to use one by a Dr. Or respiratory therapist. They have different settings for different things that are going on. I have an Aerobica but was prescribed by my pulmonolgist.
    • Posted

Hi ,Nikongirl ,I didn't suggest SHE BOUGHT ONE. ,,, I was merely explaining that I used one and It helped ME ,
  • Posted

Hi Barbra: My advice is to go see a good pulmonolgist. Have them do a cat scan and sputum sample. You could have Bronchiectasis which is a widening in the airways of your lungs and you can't get rid of sputum like people with normal lungs. I do have it and it makes you cough a lot. It also leaves your lungs open to other infections and bugs. Get checked out by a good pulmonary Dr. Who knows what he or she is doing. I would be glad to talk with you if you would like. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.