Frustrated, coming up to 10 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

This Thursday will see me 10 weeks post op THR on right hip. My op was revision surgery as I had hip resurfacing 7 years ago. However following renewed pain 12 months ago and plenty of visits to my consultant the outcome was THR which I had on 30 July. (I've also had resurfacing of my left hip 6 years ago, that's still going strong). Op went very well, recovery went well, very little pain, uncemented ceramic head on metal. Moved off 2 crutches onto one around 5 weeks, saw phsio at 6 weeks moved onto 2 sticks, started cycling to build strength, returned to work at 7 weeks. I'm 48 and work in retail so straight on to 8 hrs a day on my feet. 3 days in first week of return to work, 5 days last week.

That's where my frustration kicks in...I'm now struggling with pain in the joint, not constantly but on and off, almost as painful as pre op at times. Taking anti inflammatories at times.

I had to return to work as I was only receiving SSP and needed my income. I'm hoping the pain will ease with time . I see my consultant again in 2 weeks.

Apologies that this is so long winded a tale, can any hippies 3-4 months or longer down the line post op offer any advice?

I didn't experience this kind of pain following my resurfacing ops which are equally as invasive.

Thanks for listening to my sob story!

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I hate to say it but 8 hours on your feet a day may mean you are overdoing it. Does it ease up after a couple of days off?

are you sure you can wait two weeks till you see your consultant, maybe your GP can help

• Posted

You're doing an awful lot on that brand new hip. I wonder if you're just aggravating the parts that aren't fully healed yet. 8 hours a day is a long time to stand, hip replacement or not. 

I'm only 3 weeks post op with the hip, but have done knees a few years ago. I know with them that to get to full speed took way longer than expected.

• Posted

Gosh mike no wonder you got pain seems you done too much too soon .

Take it easy get medical advice

Regards Denise

• Posted

Hi Mike,

sounds like op was fine but yes, you are doing rather a lot: cannot HR guide you into a staged + stepped return to work?

I had a resurfacing 13 years ago before returning to teaching. I gather several did not work out but blessedly mine is still fine. I had the other hip done for THR, tho hoped for another resurfacing, but they don't do them in Exeter. All well.

good luck,

Mic

• Posted

hi mike, 

I agree with other posts as well - 8 hours straight 5 days a week is too much right now -- sounds that you were doing fine with 3 days a week though ... 

pain is an indictor  that something is not right - 

Are you still taking medication for pain relief?  I would call my GP or consultant and ask for an earlier appointment -

probably nothing really wrong, just overburdend while still in hte recovery process -

good luck .... 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Thanks so much for the replies. I aim to speak to my area manager to look to slow things down at work. Also going to see if I can get another physio appointment as I feel the two I've had so far have been insufficient.

Thanks again, I'll keep you updated!

Mike

• Posted

hI mIKE

so sorry to hear about your pain    I guess the experts are right that you are over doing it

Just a t thought which might help situation  (as I totally appreciate the other side of it )  If you cant maintain your previous workload,  to apply for PIP   Personal Independance Payment    as it will boost your loss  and it there for this type of situation  -   even if only for a short time   you will be backpaid from your application

I dont know what  resurfacing is  so I feel a new thread coming on  

lots of good wishes

pauline x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.