Gabapentin and life threatening side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

I Started gabapentin for anxiety. On a real anxious day I took more than I was supposed to, Almost 900 mg. I was only taking 300 mg. I put on several pound of water and a couple of days later deve;loped a Pulmonary embolism with a clot found in my leg.

After deep diggin, it is a known side effect, it falls under 1%, so is often not listed. However it is good to know. They also said I could have a hidden or new cancer ( Great to someone taking it for hypochondria). smile

Anyway it has been 4 months, I only have 8 more to go until mr risk of cancer nears normal if it was not the Gabapentin. Next month are all of my last tests. A large lymph node removed and bilateral biopsies of my tonsils. All moderate to low suspicion,. Then I am done. One Doc recomedned, I have another MRI of the Abdoman at about 6 months, because some things like pancreatic cancer  can pop up that fast on a scan. I have to pay for it of coarse, because they will only cover CTS, Will I have had 6 over my life and have sworn off all radiation after that

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

strange to be taking it for anxiety, I thought it was for neuropathic pain and epilieptic seizures
    • Posted

I am in the US. It is widely used for anxiety and I assure you, very effective!! At least for some
  • Posted

oh well I'll take your word for it that it is smile  my neighbour has been prescribed it for arthritic type pain i his wrists and back pain which he says stops him sleeping. He was already taking a painkiller and asked for more but the GP said this would be stronger and better and would sedate him heavily to get to sleep. He says it has no effect whatsoever. I have a lot of physical nerve tissue or joint pain and debitllitating anxiety and insomnia so he gave me some to try - i also felt no effect whatsoever from them, taking two tablets at once for two days in a row;no reduction in pain or anxiety whatsoever.

It seems odd that it is prescribed to treat such a varying range of symptoms and conditions, makes me have no faith in its efficacy if it can't make its mind up what it treats.

I'm sorry you had such an adverse effect from it. I hope you're alright.

• Posted

You will find most rerading and certainly Pain Managment will advise that Gabapentin will take some time to start working on neuropathic pain, between three and six weeks. Also, 600mgs is a pretty low dose. I would give it a bit more time, it may well help your pain. However, if it didn't help your sleep straightaway, it's not going to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.