Gabapentin No More

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all... I take 300 mgs 4x's a day at 8:00 AM,  2:00 PM and then 5:00 pm and again 7:00 PM. I am only taking it to avoid withdrawals during the day and the HORRIFIC body aches/leg twitching at night. I do not need it anymore otherwise.

Please help me know the best way to come off of this.

Thanks!

hisbride2b

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You need to reduce gradually on doctors advice. It is dangerous to do it on your own
  • Posted

Hi there,

I have to agree, that coming off this is best done under drs supervision, preferably a senior dr like a consultant in a pain clinic. You dnon't want to be messing with this drug, you are on quite a hefty dose. As someone who has managed to come off gabapentin / pregabalin ( I have had them both ), there is not a magic way to come off this. I looked at this a bit like anything else you know your body is going to crave you to take, I gave myself a date that I would start. I had the correct doeage from my drs to start dropping it down, I did it weekly as I take a lot of other meds too, what I did find was that I personally was in more pain ( nerve pain ) for 2/3 days every time a dropped the dose, but I stuck to my guns and tried to distract myself ( meditation, reading, etc )....as it would have been easy to think ''oh, I'll have a week off'', but I had made up my mind that it had enough impact on my cognitive function and short term memory over a few years on it, and I was stopping it. I am nearly a year off it now, I still can get intolerable nerve pain and am taking nothing for it, however I look at it that it's not going to last forever, and eventually get through it.....see a dr before you start, you'll need to to get the right doses anyway to drop the dose down gradually

• Posted

Thank you Holly1974 and 2wilma60. I did speak to my Dr and she does not believe there are wds . So I called my pharmacist who gave me my taper schedule. I didn't know how soon to expect wds, how long they may last. Is there any method to ease the muscle twitching?

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi there,

There are too many drs ignorant to this drug, it makes me so mad, and I have a degree in pharmacology ! and have worked in the pharma industry in the past. I never suffered too bad from muscle twitching, so am afraid I cannot offer much advice there. The one thing I noticed was the inc. in pain every time I dropped the dose down. Just grinned and beared it for a couple of days, and swore will never go back on it. One dr told me that there was evidence that after a year or so that it's efficacy declined for treatment of nerve pain....receptor numbers change when many drugs are taken, thus altering the effect of the chemical at a receptor level. Too many drs sadly have a poor understanding of pharmacology, and I have found the lack of knowledge of GABA drugs to be shocking from a personal perspective. Just take it slow, you can always maintain that dose another week if you cannot face a further drop down, just don't give up, and if you feel v unwell seek advice from someone who knows about this medication. I took 1800mg of this for a long time ....split over 3 doses over the day, it went from wonder pill to my worst enemy over time !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.