Gabapentin side effects

Posted , 1 user is following.

hello all, new here. decided to try to seek support since I've been to 3 neurologists and been dismissed and shot down most times after being on many waiting lists.

been on gabapentin since April. started on 300 a day, then bumped up to 600 then 800. they gave it to me for migraines and a seizure (prob not the best idea but each time I tried something and had undesirable results, they just moved onto gaba eventually. I have a family history of REALLY low tolerance to medications. 25 of topamax had me asleep for days when they first tried it.)

so I took well to it initially. then the docs moved me to hydroxyzine 2x daily with the gaba back at 600. they slashed to 300 overnight with plans to taper me off in future. 3 days after that, I've had non stop twitching and spasms in my ribcage, lower back & right leg. feels like a nerve stimulator is on my body most of the day.

I talked to my neurologist several times and got told it's not the gabapentin and "we've never heard of this. it's supposed to eliminate tremors and twitching." MRIs and full workup all show nothing. spine and brain are pristine. head CT good. no lesions. blood works good. all vitamins, electrolytes good. on no other meds except gaba right now tapering down over 8 days. has anyone else experienced this twitching / sensation of internal tremor?

I've never been on medications before this and I feel like once I've had topamax, gabapentin, nortritpyline, etc. my body has never been the same. the hydroxy also caused me a lot of visual disturbances and my opthalmologist pulled the med. and recommended gaba stop as well, as it gave me floaters and light sensitivity and trouble with my eyes at times. the doctors except my primary and eye doctor have all been very dismissive about the gabapentin and top. for some reason but I really hope my body goes back to normal soon, as the twitching and tremors are very disruptful in my daily life and I am a nursing student and Healthcare worker so I'm really hoping it's under control before I go back. any guidance or feedback is greatly appreciated, I feel like nobody has listened to me in a professional setting anymore other than telling me how safe and good gabapentin is but I had none of these issues before being on it. thanks for reading.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.