gabapentin withdrawal and heart palpitations

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello all,

I was in a car accident last December. I suffered whiplash and concussion. in march came down with covid and had a really rough time with it. in May i started having really bad pain throughout my entire body so they put me on gabapentin 600mg. shortly after i started getting weird muscle twitching, spasms, increased pain, jerking sensations, headaches, mood swings, etc. was seeing a neurologist and emg, blood work, mris all normal. saw a doc who gave me a second opinion and said to wean off gabapentin. it seems like every time i reduce the dosage i have bad heart palpitations with severe panic attack and end up in the ER. im talking 120-150 bpm with tachayrdia! Has this happened to anyone else? pcp now has me 100 mg for one month then 100 mg every other day then off. how long will this continue? will i ever be the same again?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

i had fast heart rate and palpitations too. i am about 6 weeks completely off after a long 9 month taper and the palps are fewer and farther between, some days its not great and others I am fine. Not sure I agree with your doctor on 100mg every other day, I have never heard of a doctor recommending that given its short half life. it might ping pong your symptoms. Gabapentin comes in liquid form so you could taper to really low levels. may want to ask about that opposed to the every other day idea.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.