Gabapentins side effects for women 60& older .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Weaning off gabapentin and now experiencing gastritis .Down from

900mg to 500mg. Is anyone aware

that this drug co. has been sued for millions due to off label scripts. Presently like most on here , suffering gastro , mental fog.

burning , skin crawling legs , sharp

pains in various parts of brain , just an array of nasty symptoms. If I had a job , I surely would have been fired by now. Only good part,

I lost 20lbs but I was only 132 to begin with. All in all this monster took 7months of my life away and I still have 400mg's to go. The symptoms some of you are citing ,

are on the web . Major lawsuit in Boston won by plaintiff for 130 million. Look this up.Phizer actually had on record , that it was

" snake oil ", in other words perscribe it for any pain that Ails

someone. So many of these meds

need to be researched by patients

and Dr.s before handing them out.

To a large degree we are being g tested like lab rats.

If anyone wants to chat back with me , feel free.Misery does in fact love company . I'm sorry for all of us .

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

HI Joyce

I Am 64 Have been on gabapentin for a number of years about 7. I Am currently on 3,600 mg spread over 4x a day. I Suffer with back problems and severe nerve damage. The gabapentin certainly helps my pain and gives me lots of pain relief .

Of cours i get all the side effects that come with them. But with the two things aside it is better to be taking the tablets and be less painful.

• Posted

But you have to keep taking more and more and more of this stuff. It is just not worth it. I have spine issues too and arthritis in every joint with bent fingers and toes because my bones are twisting, yet this drug terrified me so much that I now just live with the paint, use some tylenols, heat packs, a TENS unit, warm baths, and exercise. It is better to try other methods than poison yourself.

• Posted

Yes, IBS, falling asleep suddenly while sitting up, feeling like a zombie, constantly itchy, frequent infections UTI and skin, dry eyes, frequent bouts of bronchitis......this drug is hell. It should be illegal. I only too 100mg at night for about 6 months in order to wean down from 100mg 3 times a day. It is poison from the first day I started it and they kept wanting to adjust UP the dosage. What lunatics. Doctors are pushing this garbage for everything from depression to pain management to (insert infliction here......) It is truly shocking. I have not taken it for one year and cannot lose the weight but glad to be off it. Still don't feel like my old pre-gaba self anymore. I feel that this drug is dangerous and damages people at the molecular level. Permanently.

• Posted

Hi Anne26066

I am currently on 3600 mg per day which I think is the amount which you can legally take. And no more !

I do have a memory loss and can fall asleep quite easily .  The drug helps me with my pains and gives me more quality of life. 

My Doctor has recently told me that I need to try and cut down on them and will help me do so. I don’t mind this as long as my pain is kept at bay

• Posted

Everyone experiencing problems after gabapentin, hang in there and stick with your physician prescribed weaning program, and in addition continue a good line of communication with your physician's office.

It is difficult, but it can be done. I was on gabapentin for about 20 years. In July 2016 I was on 1800 mg daily. At one time I was on 3600 mg/day. My weaning schedule was six days.

I still experience some issues I think are related to taking gabapentin. All in all, I feel better off the medication. I think it is recklessly over prescribed.

• Edited

I started taking Gabapentin for my Peripheral Neuropathy. I've been taking it since 2009. I am currently on 9 tabs a day at 300 mg. After reading these side effects, I'm going to start reducing the amount I take till I've weaned myself off of it. To be honest, I can't see that it helps my condition at all. I kept taking it cause it makes me sleep so good, but it's not worth these side effects. I am having a lot of memory problems and forgetfulness. I appreciate the information and support you've put on this site.Do the side effects get better after you've stopped it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.