Gallbladder op in 5 days .. Nervous

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all

After putting it off for ages I just can't take it anymore and have finally decided to have my gallbladder removed. I'm actually writing this lying on my knees doubled over a pillow after another attack. They are so frequent now it's ridiculous.

I'm having keyhole provided all goes to plan but am concerned about how long recovery will take as I have an 11 month old, 23 month old and 9 year old. As well as worrying about the op I'm concerned about how they'll be. Got my husband and sister to help me out but you know sometimes kids just want their mum. I know I can't lift for 2 weeks but how strict is that? And could it be longer then that? Will it hurt lifting my younger two a month or two months after?

Anyone with toddlers had the op? What was it like?

Thanks

Renee

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had 8 dogs , far worse than having children around, the op is an unremarkable one, especially if done by laprascope . Recovery is quick , what most find is the eating regime that may follow is what troubles them... God luck hopefully yours will be perfect 
  • Posted

recovery will be very quick. If you are havinG Keyhole.. You are doing the right thing! Well done.. You will feel so much better. Keyhole is a safer risk.  
  • Posted

Hi Renee I had mine out a week ago and my surgeon said to get back to normal activities after 2 weeks but not to over do it. As my occupation as a window dresser requires lots of lifting etc I have been advised to stay off work for a month. Your body needs to heal. I know it's scary for you pre op but post op you will be pain free. I too was having very frequent attacks so to be free of them is great, Wishing you all the best and keep in touch
  • Posted

A week after my op, I feel very well and just a bit tender in the inside. Dressings are off and cuts are well healed.  I would say I probably over did it today as I felt so well, which is so easy to do.  But I am hoping I will be back to a reasonable normal pattern in another week,  you will need time to heal, but as long as you don't lift to much you should be fine, good luck x get it over with and then you can get on with your life x

• Posted

Hi Renee,

My son was 2yrs old when I had mine out. I ate 3days after and it was awesome! No heavy lifting for two weeks. I had pain where they punctured with the laparoscopes but that is all. I got a sedative from the surgeon while waiting for my turn in the hospital.

You will be just fine, no more attacks!

• Posted

I had mine out laproscopically in June. I was on light duty, nothing heavier than 10 pounds for the first two weeks, luckily my wife was there to help me out when my daughter wanted held, then nothing heavier than 30 for the next 4.

The surgery was a breeze. An overnight stay because I had some excessive bleeding during a liver biopsy done while they did the surgery. Hurt a bit the first few days and couldn't sleep on my right side/stomach for 2 weeks, but other than that, everything went well.

Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

• Posted

Oh dear you sound in a lot of pain.

I had my gallbladder removed at end of April.

Still getting stomach cramps first thing in the morning but Dr said it would settle down.

If you have keyhole surgery they say recovery time is 3 weeks.

If you have the bigger op it is 6 weeks.

They are never certain they can do keyhole till they have actually opened you up so before they put you to sleep you have to sign a form saying if they cannot do keyhole they can carry on with the bigger op in which case you would be in overnight.

Not sure how strict it is with lifting but they did say to me do not lift for 3 weeks after I had had keyhole.

Take it easy afterwards, it does take a while to get over it.

Hope you have lots of help with the children.

I'm sure they'll be fine.

Good lluck with the op.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

You have absolutely nothing to be scared of . The pain from the gall bladder attacks is 100 times worse than the slight discomfort ( like a pulled muscle bit sore ) that you will have after your op !

The op is the easy part . I am a busy mum of 3 . Had a full abdominal hysterectomy three years ago so I know pain from surgery , seriously though , it is sore and a little uncomfortable especially " when you forget " and go to turn over in bed for example .

I wouldn't lift your children for the first ten days . You have a Handful of internal stitches which need to knit together .

I felt well aside from Wind which is a side effect of the surgery and your Tum will be enlarged with wind . Once this subsides after a few days your tummy will go soft again .

I would say that after 10 days I felt able to do my housework . Were all different but mums with kids are resilient . Having said that don't overdo it . The pain of a gallbladder episode is awful and the relief after is amazing .

Stay on the healthy choices of food with occasional treats . apparently stones can still form and you don't want to undo all your good work by going all out to eat a diet of goodies . There are foods that I cannot eat - takes days to digest .. Such as spaghetti bolognese - so I now avoid it .

You cannot look after a family constantly in pain . I suffered it since my 20s . Then developed serious complications early this year . In hospital for a few weeks . jaundiced and liver very unwell due to a trapped gall stone in the bile duct . You haven't the time with children to be poorly so have the op . Out the same day or overnight and it will all be over . No more pain ! All the best - Rachel ( mum 44yrs)

• Posted

Well it's D day!

Does anyone have any remedies to get rid of the wind from the gas to inflate the tum? I suffer from terrible wind pains after having each of my kids and kind of imagining it to be like that only worse!

I'll post again later after the op if I'm able or as soon as

Renee xx

• Posted

I walked around a lot after my surgery. When I was in the hospital overnight after my surgery, I walked the halls. The movement helps dissipate the gas. I also tried gas-x too.
  • Posted

Well I'm about 5 hours post op and so far so good. I am dying to burp. It's awful just sitting on my chest and won't come out lol.

A little light headed but the only rea pain is my throat where I guess they put a tube down. Incisions are a little sore but no soreness at gallbladder site.

Don't know if it's cause I'm drugged up but if the pain level stays like this hen I'm a happy camper!

Renee

• Posted

Good to hear everything went smooth.

Hopefully your recovery is a quick and painless one.

• Posted

Did you suffer throat pain after I guess from being incubated?
    • Posted

Hi Renee so glad to hear your op went well. Take things easy, listen to your body and rest. I'm now 2 weeks post op and on the mend, Personally my only issue is fatigue but my GP assures me this will improve. Wishing you all the best as you recover and no more gallbladder pain lol xx
    • Posted

Glad to hear all went well.

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Yes you will have more energy it just takes time.

I had my gallbladder out at end of April and still have to be careful not to eat too much fatty stuff.

Having stomach cramps and slight constipation particularly first thing in the morning but GP said it would settle down.

So much better than I was before though.

Love Sarah xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.