Gallbladder Removal Success Story! I Finally feel better!!!

Posted , 47 users are following.

Let me start out by saying DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL OF THESE NEGATIVE POSTS ON HERE!

The internet says that Gallbladder surgery is the most COMMON surgery in todays world and about 700,000 people in the United states have their gallbladder taken out each year. So please do not let a couple of hundred negative posts on the internet scare you away from doing something that could change your life for the better!

People who have a positive outcome do not post their results, they are too busy enjoying their life now that they feel better!

For 10 years I suffered and I finally hit my breaking point. The Gallbladder surgery was the first surgery I ever had so just like many of you, I was on these websites every chance I got searching for a reason to believe this was my answer and that I was doing the right thing. Unfortunately, all I found were all these horror stories and people with complications.

My CT scan, Ultrasound, Labs etc all came back fine. I had no gallstones. My Hida scan was 33%, which as many of you know, can be a tricky number when it comes to a Doctor believing that the gallbladder is the problem. Especially in my case where symptoms were not typical gallbladder symptoms. Pain was not always on the right side, it was mostly in the center above my ribs, my pain was not always after a fatty meal, it was with EVERY meal. I did not have a ton of heartburn. IBS medications, both prescription and over the counter, natural supplements, food/ingredient elimination…it helped, but only temporarily.  But I know my body, and their answers weren’t good enough for me.

I finally decided to see a surgeon for a second opinion, and then the option was up to me. It took me 2 months to decide that I was going for it. I read every single article online that you can find that relates to gallbladder removal, and every single post on these forum websites, both good and bad.

I am now just about 3 months post op and I feel amazing. Of course you have to watch what you eat now and avoid certain foods, but to be honest, it’s all stuff you’re used to by now if you’ve suffered stomach issues before getting your gallbladder out. My gallbladder was covered in scar tissue when they removed it, with some cholesterolosis. One thing I noticed after the surgery is that the dull horrible pain that I had ALWAYS felt in my stomach is now gone.  When you feel that way for THAT long, it almost feels weird NOT to feel like that anymore. But I felt so relieved. I still do. Don’t get me wrong, I still have days where I feel a bit bloated and I’m still learning what I’m sensitive to, but it’s a different kind of bloat, and the blah feeling I sometimes get now would not even come close to what I felt before the surgery.

I’m all for the questions, so please ask. Just remember that just because you don’t have “classic gallbladder symptoms” doesn’t mean its not your gallbladder!  

19 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thanks for this Erica!!! Firstly thank you so much for telling your positive story about GB surgery, brilliant.  I too have had  the same symptoms and am going for surgery as i want my life back, your story is so similar to mine, it has taken me two years to get this far, hundreds of visits to GPs etc only to be told it is IBS, acid reflux etc, my tests eventually have show only 35% function of GB - at last like you I hope for a great result !!!  Very best wishes and thank you.
  • Posted

Hi I have post op booked this coming Monday and having GB removed June 28th. Very nervous. Pain in right lower rib area be glad to be rid of. Don't get bad attacks as controlled with diet. Just very nervous of op but know I have to have it.

I try not to read negative talk need to read more positive stories.

• Posted

I agree that it would be nice to have more success stories so that you would feel better about having your gallbladder removed. It is scary to come here before surgery. But a lot of us aren't as fortunate to feel better as you think you should after surgery. And it's nice to have a forum like this for support. I had my surgery over two months ago and as I'm writing you right now I have a terrible stomach ache that is going on on out 22 hours. Pretzels brought it on. I have no problem with fatty foods although I stay away from them now because I've started a new diet for weight loss. Can't eat cereal or oatmeal but fine with wheat bread. Yes it takes some adjusting to what you can't eat especially when it's things that others don't seem to have a problem with. We are all different.

So I'm so happy for you that you had a successful experience and feel much better as I'm sure many people have. But for those who haven't they need support.?

• Posted

Thank you for posting that in such a nice way. I agree with you. The only reason I am on here is to find possible solutions as to why I have pain after gallbladder surgery. Maybe two different forums. One with the success stories and the other as support and possibly to get help from other sufferers. As Erica stated, the people with success stories people are out living their lives. Us sufferers can't do that as easily Erica. Glad yours was a success .

• Posted

Of course everyone needs support. That's why these forms and everyone on it are amazing! I have found some of the best advise by reading through these posts. I hope your stomach ache goes away! I noticed a few foods post surgery that have made me feel the same way. It's defit an adjustment.

• Posted

Positive surgery story for you 😊

I'm 10 days post op from keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder. I read a lot of posts of negatives after surgery so wanted to say how well mine has gone.

I was terrified going in as I've never had an operation before, but I'm so thankful it's all done.

Went into theatre approx 10:30 am and woke up in recovery at 11:20. Did have pain coming around but that was quickly dealt with, thanks to morphine. Taken back to the ward absolutely desperate for a cup of tea, they made me drink water first to make sure I wasn't sick (I wasn't) I then had 3 cups of tea and a lovely pack of chicken and mayo sandwiches which I devoured 😂 I was up and wandering around the ward shortly after my food.

Obviously there was discomfort but I found no need for any pain medication. I don't think I've got a particularly high pain threshold so was very surprised how little pain I was in. Possibly after having such bad gallbladder attacks nothing else quite comes close to that pain.

I was kept in overnight just so they could monitor my urine as I was drinking more than I was urinating but my bladder slowly came back to life.

I've been home resting ever since, I'm stiff and sore after lying down too long but that soon gets better once up and moving around. My wounds are healing nicely and not causing me much bother apart from I'm worrying about catching them in clothes so I'm loosely covering them when I'm dressed just to make me feel happier.

I've been eating normally, with no bowel issues. I'm still doing pretty low fat as it's hard to change habits I've become used to due to gallbladder attacks but I enjoyed a chicken curry last night with chips, fried rice and prawn crackers (big no no for me before op) and I've had no adverse symptoms at all.

I've been for a small walk today which has worn me out a little but it will take time for my body to heal. All in all I'm so over the moon it's all done and I just need to take it slowly Day by day 😊

Hope I've helped put some minds at rest and good luck anyone due for surgery x

• Posted

Hi Erica

Whilst I'm pleased you are doing well and it's good to have posts of positive outcomes, not all posts here are negative.

I and several others who post regularly try to support those who have issues. If I feel I can help someone, I post.

I have quoted several times that five friends who've had their gallbladders out have done well since with no problems.

There are people trying all sorts of medically unproven remedies and trying to control symptoms with a low fat diet instead of having the surgery they need. I have told my story many times now in order to try and persuade people to have surgery. Once you have a gallstones diagnosis and are getting attacks nothing but surgery will make those gallstones disappear, as you've discovered.

Leaving the stones in there can lead to all sorts of problems.

Having my cholecystectomy (open surgery) has probably saved my life as they discovered I had early gallbladder cancer and I was able to have a liver resection. Most gallbladder cancers aren't caught in time. I will have to be monitored for five years, but I'd say my experience has been very positive.

Like you, I am about three months post op and feeling better than I have in years. I can eat more or less what I like, though fatty foods still scare me. I've had practically no diarrhoea. I have been able to come off my meds for high BP, due to having lost 3.5 stones in weight. I still have some uncomfortable tenderness in my right side where my gallbladder was but I did have two major surgeries using the same incision within five weeks. It's nothing compared to the pain I had which lingered on for 3 or 4 days at a time leaving me exhausted.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that youre doing well after the surgery, your story is so inspiring! And it's awesome that you're able to share it with others in need of advice. I didn't have stones which made my surgery decision so much harder. The 4 months before my surgery we're the worst, I started to feel like if I didn't make a decision, I would eventually end up in emergency surgery.

• Posted

I am glad that your surgery was successful. I believe that you went on this site to encourage others, because your experience was positive.  It is good that you listened to your own body and went ahead with the surgery.  

There are many, many factors that contribute to a good outcome, such as the health of the patient, the skill of the doctor and surgeon and the ability of the body to recover.  Bellieve it or not, some of the outcome depends on whether one is lucky, or not.  

People come to this site to share.  They share practical knowledge, seek comfort and offer support.  Others do have negative experiences, for which medicine is seldom capable of offering a remedy.  These are the patients that the doctors prefer to avoid and prentend don't exist.  They are the ones who have been told that their very real medical problems are "all in their head."  

I hope that in your life you never experience this.  But you do others who have such an experience by characterizing their posts as negative.    

• Posted

Excuse me, I meant to say:  But you do others who have such an experience an injustice by characterizing their posts as negative.  
  • Edited

Thank you all for your replies. There is a lot of negative on this forum. That doesn't mean the negative isn't true. My post says please don't let the negative scare you out of what could possibly be great! It's unfortunate that not everyone has the same outcome but its also unfortunate that you don't see more positive stories on here as well. Can be very discouraging

• Edited

The issue is most people only go looking for forums when they are having issues from gallstones, or gallbladder, then they have the op and dissapear ( so no positive story posted) the others are those who go onto have issues so stay around posting or others who have found the forum due to issues. Many people have years of doing great after gallbladder surgery and then become sick, so not all gallbladder positives immediate stories, end up positive however many many people also do have positive outcomes. I have family members all dpoing great, my mum had hers out over 20 yrs ago and said it was the best thing she did ( however she now has a colostomy bag, huge bowel issues and colon issues, developed 9 yrs ago, may or maynot be connected and will never know)

I think its important to know both sides and make an informed decision, if people didnt know the negative as well as the positive then that would be an injustice, they would wonder what the heck happened if things dont turn out well for them. Our bodies are unique and how we react from removing a organ which IS NEEDED is individual. It is an importasnt organ in digestion so removing it isnt as simple as whip it out and everything will be fine, for a lot it just simply isnt true. With time many will adjust and millions have no issues or complications, but many do sadly and they deserve somewhere to go vent and seek help as most in the medical community refuse issues after exist or hae no idea how to fix.

I am awaiting surgery and so glad I know both sides, whilst this scares me deeply, at least I know what can happen and be prepared, instead of scared and shocked.

• Posted

Hi Erica, it's fantastic to hear your success story. I too know loads of people who have had the op and are leading normal life again. I know there are, I won't call it negative feedback but it is from people who are scared and worried about their condition and reading stories like yours definately makes a difference. My husband had open surgery due to adhesions from previous car accident ,he had suffered may years discomfort etc.However, he did need second op 5 days later ,and the reason for this I have now found is that the lack of communication between staff. They started to give him food when his bowels had not started working so the food just sat in there and of course caused a blockage. I took him to another hospital where they are doing it correctly and not feeding him until his bowels start to work. If anyone who reads this please remember it is important to have your gallbladder removed if it is causing you a problem, it is a very easy op and you will definately benefit you.

• Posted

Hi Erica. Thank you for sharing! I've searched the internet looking for someone with similar symptoms to mine. I also had normal CTs, ultrasounds, labs. Only a polyp that none of the doctors thought would be causing my symptoms, which was mostly that dull pain that was constant, no matter what I ate, or if I even ate at all. Mostly in the epigastric region, but sometimes left or right side. I had an endoscopic ultrasound which showed my pancreas and ducts were fine. But my HIDA scan showed 31%, and after my own doctor wasn't sure that this would be causing my symptoms, I spoke to a surgeon who was confident it was. I'm now 10 days post op, and my question to you is, how long did it take you to feel normal again? And what were some things you experienced along the way? Can you explain what your recovery was like? I keep reading stories of people who were back to themselves in two days or so, and it's been making me a little nervous. 

• Posted

I’m almost 7 weeks post-op and didn’t really start feeling better until about 3 weeks after the surgery. Although I ended up with a wound infection at this point after tearing my stitches at bellybutton. Has taken a good 3 weeks more for the wound to properly scab over too! Try not to stretch too far - that’s how I tore stitches open 2.5 weeks after surgery 🙈🙈. 

I’ve had diarrhoea a few times since the op but think that was mostly due to antibiotics for the wound infection. And had yellow stools quite a few times.  Still being a little cautious with what I eat and still get a bit bloated too 👎🏼. It took a good 5-6 weeks for my stomach swelling to properly go down. 

So I think that’s me just feeling more myself now. I do continue to get some pain under my ribs on right hand side though, but these are mild in comparison to before the surgery. Hope this has answered some of the questions you have. I don’t understand how some people recover so quickly lol. Even after having my appendix removed last year I wasn’t myself until about 8 weeks later  xx

• Posted

I would say your recovery is pretty typical. I know five people who’ve had this surgery as well as me. I know I was just feeling better at about three/four weeks post open cholecystectomy when I had to go back for more open surgery and following that, it was at about four weeks post the second surgery that I started to feel well. I also had wound infection, diarrhoea issues and yellow stools but all settled down after a couple of months. At seven months post op, I’m still cautious about what I eat: definitely no chips/fries or ice cream and no alcohol because I had a liver resection but I’m still here and enjoying life. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.