Gasric band problems

Posted , 2 users are following.

HI I had a band fitted privately in 2011 and I have strated to get very bad pain from the region where the band is situated and went to my GP who sent me for a ct scan,endoscopy and barium meal and it was diagnosed that the band has slipped which is giving me this agonizing pain 24/7. I have just received a phone call from my GP practice saying because it was done privately they will not do anything to help I will have to get it sorted privately now this is the problem when I had band done I was working and now I am a pensioner and can not afford going private so now will have to live on co-codamol tablet and suffer until I am put in the oven at the end of my life, this is very worrting and stresseing so if any one out there who reads this can give me some advice......thank you in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i think if it becomes an emergency then the NHS has to help you so i dont think you will have to go on like this for ever - her persistant - dont accept this as final - good luckĀ 
    • Posted

Thank you for quick response I am having a chat to the senior GP at the practice on 19th October and will see what he has to say and if he still insists that its a private matter I will go to the ombudsman and last resort would be to go to A&E and see what they can do to get rid of this pain but at the minute I am eating co codamols like sweets to ease the pain and possibly damaging my health even further.

• Posted

hope ;you get the result you want - if you do need to go to A&E try and pick a hosp attached to a Bariatric Unit as they will know better what to do than a general hosp that does not offer this type of surgery on the NHS -  a friend of mine had a band done privately and was having trouble which she thought was band related - her doc sent her to local hosp which did wgt loss surgery even though she had not had her band on the NHS and the surgeon said he would have her band out by the afternoon if it turned out to have slipped - as it happened it was a totally diff matter that was causing the pain and her band lived to restrict and help her with her wgt probs for many a year afterwards and is still going strong - it can be really dangerous if your band has slipped as it can erode your stomach so dont put up with it - be persistant 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.