Gastric Balloons (i have had 1 fitted)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I just wanted to put some info on here as everything i found was outdated horror stories about gastric balloons.

I had mine fitted nearlly 3 weeks ago and upto press i have lost around 10llbs (still early days)

A gastric balloon is an object inserted into the stomach and filled with saline solution to help you feel full and to eat less (mine is about as big as a pint of milk). I am not that big anyway 5"8 and 12 stone 10llb at my highest i have been 15.7 (stone) and at my lowest 10.8 (stone). I could not cope with one more fad diet starvation diet and was losing the will to live, constantlly yo-yoing with weight, so drastic times called for drastic measures and i decided to have the balloon.

It was inserted under general anaestethic and i was kept in over night to make sure i could take on fluids and keep them down. I did throw up a little on the night and coming home the next day but that was to be expected. However i was more tired than in any pain.

The first 3 days I was sick probably about 8 times over the 3 days and was just on liquids, again i was in no pain it was just uncomfortable.

And when being sick you just thought you were going to burp. I returned to work after 5 days and I am a post woman so I have a challenging physical job, to be fair i could of done with another week off but i got on with it.

I have been sick a few times since mainly having to make myself sick because I have eaten or drunk to much and its uncomfortble, although it doesnt look alot on the plate it is alot in the stomach.

Also eating to much causes my back to ache chronically but again after being sick the pain goes.

The main things that have suffered with are,

Constipation .. I do not drink enough and I am now taking laxatives to make sure i keep regular.

Back Ache .. from over eating.

Uncomfort .. from over eating.

Mainly the heavy carbs cause the discomfort, bread and pasta.

Also flu like feeling aching bones from again i presume over eating.

I have suffered no dehydration and in no way have i been incapcitated through having this done. It stays in for 6 months and hopefully in this time i can adjust to new eating habits and portion sizes.

You still have to follow a diet but it is much easier to control with the balloon in.

Just so you are aware this is not a horror story in anyway, i am very happy with the way my body has handled this and can not wait to see the end results although it will still take hard work the same as any diet. I think alot of the people that moan about this proceedure have it done for free on the nhs, i have paid alot of money for this because it's something i felt i needed to better my life.

Just follow the guidance provided and take the medication as prescribed.

Please feel free to ask me any questions and if i can put your mind at ease and answer your questions it will be a pleasure.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I've heard of the gastric balloon but chose the band as I have a lot of weight to lose.

however, I'm guessing that the restriction is in the stomach itself. If I eat a mothfull of food as I would have done before my Op it hurts like he'll which certainly stops me overeating. Try a protein shakes for a few days that may help. It will help with your fluid intake and may help with the sickness too.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I am due to get a balloon fitted later this month, are you aware of liquid intake restrictions, as I try to drink water diet coke to ward of hunger, getting through quite a bit each day
  • Posted

Hi

I had my balloon fitted two weeks ago and lost 10lb in the first week. Didn't loose anything this week and wondering what I've eaten wrong. Think it will take a while to adapt to eating differently .

So far no regrets about getting it done and recovered after 5 days.

Been good to hear how people are doing with it

• Posted

Hi Slim, Glad your having a good experience with it. smile

you haven't eaten anything wrong, a loss of that much is bound to be water weight and lack of food. I assume your back on solids now? basically i would of thought your body is just retaining the food your giving it because you lost so much first week and it thinks your starving. The 3 and 4th week i put on i couldnt understand it either.

I did alot in the first week too, and Ive now done a stone and half in just over 3 months. (tbh i havent really done any dieting or exercise apart from working) i dont really have alot to lose though.

I would just say make sure you drink enough. liquids will fill you up before eating. im doing a steady 2llb a week im happy with that but it does seem to take ages to lose a few pound, the scales stand still. Bare with it lovely you will see results and it will be well worth it in the end. xx

• Posted

Hi Rebecca smile

Thanks for you reply and your words of encouragment, it made me feel al lot more reassured. I phoned up the support line and they said i had to up my protien and veg intake now. Its still hard to know when I am full and to stop eating, Ive been sick a few times with overeating.

Congratulation on your weight loss for far. You must be really happy. Ive got about 4 stone to lose so here hoping it will help me get on my way to losing that amount. Yes so far i would recommend the balloon too.

xx

• Posted

your welcome hun, if you need any support or need to share anything drop me a message, ill get back to you asap smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.