Gastro Dr. scared the heck out of me: signs of perforation, anyone know?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This Dr. is an awful man and his staff are even worse, they're some sort of sadists. This was my 3rd colonoscopy because of polyps, first one 2011, 2nd one 2014. Found one polyp. Guy kept going on and on about diverticulosis found (common for people my age) and "adhesions' from abdominal surgery (also common in general population after abdominal surgery). Stupid 'nurse' told me "nothing uncommon found nothing to worry about....YET". Loved that "yet". Needless to say, I will not be returning to this den of horror nor will I ever have another one of these tests. From now on, will use home test for blood in stool and CT scan if necessary. So now I'm freaked out, totally freaked out. I'm terrified of getting diverticulitis from this test even though that did not happen with the other Dr. who was a better Dr. but overlooked a followup upper endoscopy so I changed Drs. I don't know why I'm so scared suddenly. I have a lot of weird gas (not painful just annoying) two days after procedure (today) and my bowels are trying to "move" normally again. I'm on a low residue diet for a few days (my idea). But every gas pain makes me freak and think I'm going to end up in the ER. HELP!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Was this in the UK ..or USA??....wind and cramps are quite normal after a colonoscopy...as they pump air into you during the procedure to expand the bowel for a better view. IF you had a perforation, which is very rare, you would have bleeding.

• Posted

TY for your response, it was in the USA. It has cleared now and bowel is trying to go back to normal. I'm eating a low residue diet and tomorrow will add fiber. I think this Dr. and his awful staff did me a huge disservice. I never had this much anxiety with my other Gastro Dr. This is the last colonoscopy I'm going to have without a CT scan first. I'll use the test for occult blood in stool also. And I'm taking myself up to the teaching hospital where all my Dr.s are, no more messing around with the idiots around here!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.