Gastroscopy - Dont panic

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just got back from Hospital after my Gastroscopy. It was not as bad as I had expected and no worse than a dentist’s visit and not painful. I didn’t have the sedative, but hadn’t made the decision till the last minute.

I was checked out by the Nurse who went through the paperwork & took blood pressure. She said “if I felt like I wasn’t going to “bounce off the ceiling with nerves”, go for the throat spray, it would all be over in 5 mins & then I could get on with the rest of the day. (I think the reason you can’t switch from throat spray to sedative once sprayed is the risk of saliva getting into your now numbed windpipe when your drowsy)

I went in got introduced to the Dr doing the procedure. He sprayed the Lignocaine spray into my throat, didn’t taste too great, a slight numbing occurred in the back of my throat. I lay down on my left side and they put a plastic mouthpiece in & fed the tube in. I gagged once as it passed the back of my mouth, after that it was fine. I relaxed my shoulders and breathed deeply and it was OK, just like when the dentist is working in your mouth without the pain. It feels uncomfortable, when they inflate the stomach. They took 5 biopsies, these didn’t hurt and it was all over in 5 mins. I saw the images on the screen, looks like I have a Hiatus Hernia & Barrett’s oesophagitis.

For what is worth, most of the problem for me was the fear of gagging being sick & not being able to breathe. I could breathe OK and taking deep relaxed breaths really helped. I could breathe through my mouth and nose if I wanted too. I gagged initially as the scope passed my throat but once passed it was no problem. I wasn’t sick.

I’ll go for the throat spray for my next one in 3 years time!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Alan, I am waiting for an appointment for an endoscopy, I too live in Norfolk, how long did you have to wait?

I haven't even thought about what option to take, although from what you said I'm not sure if I'll go for the throat spray. I would like to be in that position though where I'm choosing what to have, but I can't even get an appointment, it's taking so long and I'm struggling with food so much, not knowing what to eat.

What are your symptoms if you don't mind me asking.

• Posted

Hi

From 1st appointment about 3 months, my first gp said see if it settles down with Gaviscon. It didn't, two or weeks later a gp suggested Lansoprasol for two weeks. This didn't have much effect, so then had to stop Lansoprasol as it masks problems & wait for the procedure. My symptoms were pain in chest on left at top of stomach. I didn't realise that I was suffering from erosion of enamel on my teeth. Dentist mentioned this but didn't suggest acid reflux could be a cause. Some things like strong coffee seed to give me symptoms. Had my 3 year follow up and the Barratts seems to have gone down so no more check ups. I didn't have problems swallowing. Maybe worth seeing a different gp for a second opinion as in my case I got a different opinion from the second gp.

Hope this is of some help & you get sorted soon.

Alan

• Posted

Many thanks Alan for your prompt reply.

I've seen several doctors and tries lanzoptazole and I'm now on esomeprazole, I wouldn't say either of them work alone as I have to eat the right foods all of the time, and my main food is fruit and only certain ones.

Im having problems with enamel too but my dentist has assured me it's not down to acid reflux, so I've just paid out £103 for a night guard, he says it's due to clenching my teeth while sleeping, time will tell.

I think three months was pretty good from your first appointment. Iits been about 4 months now and 3 weeks since my appointment at the gastroenterology dept Cromer, this was like a check up to see if I did really need an endoscopy, so now I'm waiting for an appointment.

My symptoms are like something is stuck in my throat and then I get acid in my mouth, different symptoms to you. I'm paranoid about it damaging my teeth.

It's good news about the Barretts and you not having to go for check ups.

So do you watch what you eat? I don't eat any triggers at all, well not on purpose, I've got used to being hungry and all I drink is water.

I'm wasting away while waiting for the endoscopy.

Thanks again for replying

Yana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.