GCA

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am seeing the opthamologist in the morning for a possible diagnosis of this GCA. I hope they can say I don't have it without having to do a biopsy. Are the biopsies painful?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sandra, for me, the most painful part was laying flat on my back with my heard turned all the way to one side for almost an hour. With the stiffness and pain I was experiencing, that was seriously difficult and required some serious breathing and relaxation techniques.

Otherwise, the surgery itself was not painful, and recovery was very easy. I had planned to work the following day, but a snow day kept me home, and that was probably good. Some pain while upright and walking around. The next day I was fine.

My biopsy was negative, but that doesn't necessarily rule out GCA. One could have GCA even if the segment of artery they biopsy doesn't contain giant cells. So, surgery and a 2 inch scar kind of for nothing.... as my dr started me on the gca pred dose anyway.

• Posted

I really don't understand why they bother doing this test given unless there are giant cells present in the biopsy, they can't definitivly say whether you do or do not have GCA! And it seems that the biopsy rarely shows any giant cells!
  • Posted

Hi Sandra I had a biopsy over a year ago, no it wasn't painful,it was a vascular surgeon who did the biopsy, they were all so nice. and it was positive, good luck let us know how you get on
  • Posted

Hi Sandra No the Biopsy was not painful. The problem I had was the same as marthatidbit to stay in that position for a hour. The  removeal of the artery only took 15 minutes but to took a lomg time to stop the bleeding I was taking asprin at the time. the scar is inside my hair line so you do not see it. It was important that i had it done because I only had a few symbolts for G C A

Good luck

g

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.