Generalised Anxiety Disorder and diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I've had GAD for about 3 years now, and have become very good at dealing with panic attacks etc. One thing that I've thought for a long time that I would simply have to deal with forever is that constantly on edge feeling that I see so many talk about. It's not everyday, but most days, and it can be a real pain, because it really prevents me from relaxing.

I've recently been trying to lose a bit of weight (I'm on day 31 of my diet). I exercise regularly and have not changed the amount I exercise particularly, but I've noticed a huge drop in that on edge feeling (Which feels pretty great after 3 years). I'm not on any specific diet, I've just been eating less and trying to avoid snacking on sugary foods. I've also been using an app which gives you guidelines of different food groups you should be eating. I noticed that before I was eating far too much in the way of sugars and sodium compared to what I should and have aimed to reduce my intake of these. I've also hugely reduced the amount of meat I eat, as my girlfriend has recently become vegetarian. My goal particularly has been to eat less red and processed meat. The other day I had a pie with steak in it and that evening I had the on edge feeling.

I was wondering whether anyone else had found that diet had changed their anxiety in these ways. I had heard that certain foods like gluten and dairy can cause anxiety as a result of intolerance, but never meat.

Anyway, I thought I'd share, but I'm going to experiment further to try and work out if it's any specific thing that affects it. Would be great to hear others experiences and if anyone else was thinking of trying it, I'm basically trying to eat generally healthier, but specifically:

- Less Processed sugar

- Less sodium

- Less saturated fat

- More protein

- More fibre

- Less processed and red meat

Look forward to hearing from you!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sure-I never feel well after eating sugars, gluten and many other foods
  • Posted

Yes diet will help and if it stems from a sensitivety to an ingredient it can diminish. Everyones different but a healthy diet can always be agood addition to a healthy lfestyle. I did thhis my self for almost a year and felt really good. Unfortunately i messed it up and need to start again.
  • Posted

Hi Sean i have gad and ocd i find if I eat alot of suger and caffeine containg foods my anxiety gets alot worse so I try stay away from chocolate ect and coffee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.