Genetic Test Results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am just looking for some help please. Three of my dads siblings have haemachromatosis.

Since last year i have been suffering with fatigue and severe joint pain in my hands, to the extent that i cant bend my fingers sometimes and grabbing or opening or lifting things is getting harder.

I went to my doctor about this and he was nearly sure i didnt have heamachromatosis, as i was too young and i am a female age 37. As he predicted my ferritin levels were normal, and when i asked about genetic testing he asked if my parents were carriers which i didnt know. Genetic testing was refused.

I had previously done a DNA test, and i was able to upgrade to a health report.

The results say the following;

"Two copies of pathogenic variant C282Y detected".

Before i go back to the doctor with this information, can anyone give me anymore information on this?

Thanks

Ciara

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi there, I really hope you have been back to the doctors and got some help by now but two copies of c282y would mean you have Haemochromatosis but perhaps not loading iron.

I understand your pain with the fingers! Did your doctor test CRP? I ask because rheumatoid arthritis has links with haemochromatosis and affects the joints from what i've read.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.