Getting hives all of a sudden (out of the blue)

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all.

Hopefully someone can help me with allergy questions. Even if it's just one person who can give me advice it would help so much. I'm actually a little scared worried at the moment because I rarely get allergies and something weird is happening.

Okay so here goes. I'm a healthy female in my 30's. The only thing in my life that I'm aware of that I'm severely allergic to are cats. Now here's how it all started. Yesterday I decided to cook ramen noodles. And also a family member had cooked some kind of fish earlier that day (looked like catfish but wasn't). So I decided to cook my ramen noodles and put that cooked fish on top of my ramen. I ate that meal around 1 PM and felt fine afterwards. Until night time when it was about 7 PM -8PM. I started to feel a tingly itch around my neck and upper shoulder. I had my laptop on as well (watching a TV show). It happened while I was sitting down watching the show on my laptop. The itch came out of no where and I knew the itch felt a little weird but at the same time I felt like it wasn't a big deal so I didn't think much of it. Then later I ate a cherry pie. Still I felt fine and didn't care to look in the mirror. But around 9-10Pm I started to notice it was really red and I could see "welts" or bumps raised on my skin around the neck and shoulder. I could also see the hives have also spread around my left boob (mostly under the boob) but it also had "welts aka raised bumps" there as well. And no where else on my body.

Today (Jan/27/2020). I woke up and most of it was GONE. My skin was back to normal. The only thing left was redness around my neck and shoulders but most of it was just clear. Same with my boob area all clear. Now later in the day which is today (Jan 27/2020)...I ate pistachios (I've eaten them numerous times in my life) and never had allergies from them. But I ate about 4 of them and started to get a huge bump (like a hives type bump) on the corner of my mouth. Then I applied Calamine lotion and it was gone (quickly). I had also eaten a small bag of Doritos today and the same thing happened. Except worse the bump was on my mouth and all over my forehead (looking life hives with welts). I eaten doritos all my life as well just like nuts and have never had this issue. Also I'm noticing the hives mostly break out when it turns into night time. Just like when it all started yesterday.

Anyone know what this could be? I've never had food allergies in my life and I'm in my 30's. But I guess it could be? I would also like to point out something that's outside the box. And it might sound very weird! But all this time that I had hives breaking out on my neck, shoulder, mouth, face. I had my LAPTOP ON....I've read stories of people getting hives from all kinds of things. Just read that a woman got hives because her body has an allergic reaction to the cold weather. Could it be that it's my laptop that's making me break out in hives? I know that sometimes my laptop makes me sneeze or itch around the nose in the past. Could be some kind of chemical fume coming out of my laptop...I'm not sure what they call it for laptops. Sometimes you can smell a certain scent from laptops. Mine is an old Dell at the moment.

If anyone can help out with some advice, ideas of what this could be....I definitely would love the help. It's like one minute the hives appear, then they disappear...it's very on and off. My other thoughts is that my immune system may have been thrown of kilter gone down. Maybe caused by stress, which I've had a lot of this for the past 2 weeks. Though It still doesn't explain why I get the hives mostly AT NIGHT.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

it sounds like the fish might have set-off a food allergy. as you mention maybe it caused your system to go heywire. that kind of happened with me breathing diesel exhaust and dust. i think it creates an out of whack immune system. hopefully yours will heal itself. unfortunately mine hasn't and i have to take meds.

• Posted

Yeah I think so. It really has got to be the fish. My family member that cooked it doesn't even know what kind of fish it was but I'll find out and ask him again. He's family I trusted that meal. I really agree with you about it making my immune system go wack. It's crazy it's never happened to me before not like this. This morning it's better but it's still lingering and the hives are disappearing and moving around. I don't know why but I kinda think my body is purging/detoxing on it's own by coming up as hives (sounds weird, maybe could be). I am taking Zyrtec today to see what that does. Read about people that took it for hives.

Good luck to you Nathan! And thanks for your opinion. Give relief to talk it out with people. Also I hope you could try some tea (green, dandelion) it'd be something good to go along with your meds. I'm a huge tea fan and it's helped me in life so much. It heals! (I have stopped drinking it for 1-2 months) but I'm back at it.

• Posted

Have you got any clothes or cushions made with fake fur?

The hives at night maybe dust mites from your mattress or pillow or have you changed your washing detergent or fabric softener recently?

Have you started taking any new medication or health supplements since your rashes started? I get allergy lumps with certain medications as well as some herbal tablets.

There are certain health problems that can give you rashes which can affect your immune system. If you are worried about that, get a full set of bloods taken to see if anything is too high or low. Also get your vitamin levels checked, perhaps you are deficient in something.

• Posted

Nope I don't have fur cushions or blankets etc. The only piece of fur I own is a small buttoned hood that's part of my jacket laying on the floor. It's a detachable hood and I have it laying on the ground under some folded towels. I don't think it's that and it's far from where I'm sitting in my room.

I'm pretty plain and healthy. The only medications I ever take is aspirin for a body aches, menstrual headaches, or general headaches. Or pepto bismol for stomach aches after eating junky food. I don't take vitamins because I'm usually very healthy but I've been researching some vitamins that I would like to take and probably will soon.

I'm severely allergic to cats. That allergy can do very bad things to my eyes and skin and throat. This hives issue is only affecting my skin and giving large welts, and blotches that move around constantly and quickly. It gets better each morning but flares up at late afternoon night. And starts all over again. It's kind of taken away my appetite as well.

I definitely need to see a doctor but I'm one of those people that doesn't have health insurance etc and life is kinda bad right so all I can do is home remedies/OTC medications at the moment.

• Posted

Vitamin d deficiency is very common in the winter months and can make you much more prone to allergies. I still get allergies but since taking regular vitamin d I don't get anywhere near the same amount of rashes and lumps on my skin. I recommend it to everyone! Also as you say you are into tea, nettle tea is also recommended for allergies.

• Posted

Oh wow. I'll keep that in mind. I didn't know that about vitamin D. I do put milk in my coffee a lot and get that way.... I have heard a lot about that nettle tea didn't know that it could help allergies. Heard it was a powerful tea will definitely try it. 😃

I wrote in one of my paragraphs above that I was going to get Zyrtec today for my hives but got the 12 hr Allegra instead. And it has cleared up my hives/rashes very well! ...I still have a fear that it'll come back though.

• Posted

A good natural source of vitamin d, if you don't want to take supplements, is oily fish. Also try and get outside for as long as you can when it is daylight.

I used to get very bad rash when I went out in either really hot or really cold weather when I was a teenager, thankfully I grew out of that allergy in my 20s. I used to use anti histamines every day and they stopped working properly after a while. So if you are going to take them, only take them when it is unbearable and try take them at night because they can make you really drowsy and if you take them in the day, don't drink alcohol for 24 hours. I did that before and got sleep apnea and sleep paralysis which is not pleasant.

• Posted

Yes I agree about the drowsiness. Yesterday I took the non-drowsy 12 hr Allegra 60 mg but not the whole pill. I broke it apart and ate one half. And it still made me drowsy. I knew it would happen. Wish I had the kind of body that can take stronger meds like the 180mg but I'm too sensitive. It would probably kill me. The hives/rashes I had are all amazingly gone now even though I took the Allegra just yesterday . So I won't be taking it again for probably a year. I had a stressful week before the hives broke out so it has to be that, or the fish.

Thanks for all your tips! I'm so happy summer isn't THAT far away.

• Posted

Curious to know if you are still having symptoms? Have you considered histamine intolerance? I am histamine intolerant and I can't eat most of the things you have mentioned.

• Posted

Hey hey! Lindsay56

Sorry for the very late reply! I wrote this earlier this year back in(January 2020). Well since then things have become MUCH better, all is well back to normal. I'm back to my workouts and eating healthy. No rashes or hives anymore. During that time ended up going to the doctor. He told me to just drink LOTS of water so that the toxins can flush out. The doctor questioned me beforehand and I them I ate something funky. (I still believe it was a yucky burger I ate). So yeah he said drink lots of water, flush it out, and it should go away within a week. He asked if I wanted benadryl but I was scared of that because I didn't want to be drowsy. So he gave me nothing. I did take 1 Allegra out of the whole ordeal and that helped the rashes and hives. All in all it was so severe the hives and rashes it it made lose my voice for a day, and itch to death. It all went away in about 10 days.

No histamine intolerance. Histamine medication helped but I didn't like it was temporary. Time and water is really helped and eating healthy.

• Posted

sounds crazy but have you checked for bed bugs? they leave multiple welts that look like a patch of hives.

• Posted

Itching and hives tend to get worse at night because all day our skin has this protectant on help bring down out itch levels down and at night is when they tend to stop so it causes more itching and hives to spread.

• Posted

my husband is alergit to cats so we cannot get a cat, and I am so dissapointed by this...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.