Getting tests NHS

Posted , 2 users are following.

My daughter's gp suggested testing for cushing's when she decided to see him about the hump she has on her upper back, she has just returned from the doctors where they have said that her test results are normal.  I'm concerned as after looking up the symptoms I realise she has every single symptom as well as the hump, they did a normal blood test, is this the right way to rule it out? She is 21 and won't speak up for herself or even ask for a copy of the results, I don't know whether to push her for more tests on the nh

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

(sorry 1st post and sent to soon) ....on the nhs or just get her tested in spain privately where we used to live.
  • Posted

Hi Sharon and daughter.  When the GP said that her test results had come back normal what tests had she had.  I ask because as I'm sure Debs and Gill will confirm it is a long process to diagnose Cushings.  There are many, many tests to be done before any diagnosis can be made.  I would advise that you ask to see an Endocrinologist or another GP.  It seems odd that having suggested a test for Cushings the GP then dismisses it so quickly.  I do hope that Debwill reply as she is the one with all the information re tests!!
  • Posted

That is exactly what I thought, I didn't go with her for the first gp visit, she came home and told me she had to go for a blood test for it, but I went today for the results, her gp wasn't there and it was a locum that we spoke to she just said that they tested her for thyroid and cortisol but the results were normal and that she didn't need another appointment, it seems odd as they could have just telephoned to say her results were normal. I think she needs to maybe make another appointment with her gp and Ive asked her to call them to send a copy of her results.

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I think you are absolutely right to question what has happened.  There is no way that all the test needed could have been done just like that!  I hope you have some success, if not ask to see another GP as the locum probably hasn't even heard of Cushings.  We are abouy 8 in a million people  who get it so are very  special.  Please let us know how you get on!  Take care.special

• Posted

Hi my daughter just gave me a copy of the blood test result, which was a serum cortisol level test the rusult says 324 nmol/L but I don't have a clue what the normal level would be or whether this test could actually rule out cushing's, any advice would be welcome at this point as she has so many of the symptoms, is very hormonal, moody, tired constantly, bad acne, stretch marks, is size 20 on top but 16 on bottom and most of all has the hump.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.